Hard lesson to learn

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update: Brandon (now Nine-Fingers) says "At least I'll have my thumb, I'll still be able to point, tell people f#%$ you and pick my nose with my little finger." Man, you just gotta love this kid.

As long as he didn't lose the thumb on his injured hand, and he still has three fingers across from his thumb, he should be able to function well. He'll still have a strong grasp, and be able to twist and turn things.

Maybe tell him he's still on the very cutting edge of primate evolution cuz he still has a thumb opposite his working fingers, enabling him to grasp simple stone tools, and in the grand scheme of things that's of enormous importance.

Quick update: Brandon (now Nine-Fingers) says "At least I'll have my thumb, I'll still be able to point, tell people f#%$ you and pick my nose with my little finger." Man, you just gotta love this kid.

I don't think I would be handling it that well. Great Kid.:cool:

Sorry to hear about your helper.
A few things about table saws in particular and power tools in general.
1) accidents can be avoided with proper technique. Stay alert and learn what is a safe cut and what isn't.
2) Table saws must be aligned correctly. Check the manual that came with it for instructions for your saw. One key thing is the fence to blade alignment. If the blade and fence are not aligned you can pinch your workpiece which can cause dangerous kickback.
3) Never crosscut something using a miter gauge in conjunction with the fence.
4) Use blade guards when possible
5) Use common sense
6) Don't work when distracted, angry, exhausted or frustrated.
7) Don't rush, think about every cut you make.
8) RTFM - Read the fine manual.

Just a few tips.

Quick story - I got my first real cabinet saw. It was a huge 600lb, 220v, 3HP beast. I was anxious to try it out. I wired it up, installed the blade and made a few test cuts. I ignored my 1,2,5,7 and 8 above. My test cuts went fine. I needed to make some brackets for a valance. I cross cut to length and used the fence to set my measurement (BAD BAD BAD). well, my piece started to wobble trapped between the blade and fence and then shot out and hit me in the gut. It ripped a hole in my t-shirt and left a bloody welt. The other half (the piece broke in half) hit the shop wall 12 feet behind me and left divot in the drywall. Needless to say I read the manual, learned what is a safe cut and what isn't and aligned my say correctly. I could have been hurt much worse.

I've done that, luckily it was just a sliver that nailed me but it still stung.

and then shot out and hit me in the gut. It ripped a hole in my t-shirt and left a bloody welt. The other half (the piece broke in half) hit the shop wall 12 feet behind me and left divot in the drywall.
In principle, the entire rotational kinetic energy of the blade can be transferred to the workpiece.

A 45 cal. slug, a fatal dose of radiation and a handshake all have the energy, about 45 ft-lbs.

A 45 cal. slug, a fatal dose of radiation and a handshake all have the energy, about 45 ft-lbs.

259-o-rly-oreilly-gerbil.gif

A 45 caliber bullet will tear a hole in your skin, penetrate a few inches of flesh and maybe break a bone or two along the way. You can't make such a lasting impression on anyone with just a handshake.

Although I've never experienced one first hand, I expect a 45 caliber slug delivers a lot more punch than even a really firm handshake. No one ever died from a really firm handshake.

And now for something completely different...

183-george-w-bush-dance.gif

The George W. sexercise video.

Last edited:
Nestor, I think the delivery of force per square inch determines the severity of the impact. I could be wrong, I was once in the past.

In principle, the entire rotational kinetic energy of the blade can be transferred to the workpiece.

A .45 ACP. 165 grain Federal Premium travels at 1060 ft per second and has 412 ft pounds of energy. This is a pretty slow bullet but packs a lot of energy.

I was doing some work on the table saw last night and I couldn't stop thinking about this thread. :eek:

I saw the "saw stop" too. If anything, it or something like should be required by law.

I saw the "saw stop" too. If anything, it or something like should be required by law.

I agree. In a perfect world, every table saw would have to have one of these devices before it could be operated.

But, the world isn't perfect and Lassie kills chickens.

If you made a Saw Stop mandatory, then you'd have people setting them off intentionally. Maybe it would be just a dare, or maybe to cause a work slowdown in the shop. Maybe someone just didn't feel like working that day. Who knows... I just know that in the real world, good things often come wrapped in the potential for abuse, so making things MANDATORY can create huge problems.

I think if insurance companies would lower premiums for shops that had safer equipment, that would provide a financial impetus to improving safety. But, that's not happening. As it stands now, I doubt insurance agents even look at the equipment in a shop before quoting a premiums to a manufacturer. But, money makes the world go round, and if there were an economic incentive to improve safety, then workplace safety would become a cool and sexy subject everywhere, not just in woodworking shops.

Last edited:
Brandon is doing pretty good considering all that he is going through. His hand is now short the ring finger. The other three have a titanium rod due to bone missing. The thumb was also badly damaged. That is one LONG list of hurt.

On day 14 after he got hurt he was back helping me (painting)! Just wanted to work.

I hear that. I think it's better to suffer while doing something then just sitting around the house. Tell him we all wish him well.

Just got back from Brandon's and it looks like his hand may heal a little better than expected! They are pulling the rods out of his fingers so he may bend them again someday. I don't know about you, but just the thought of someone yanking a steel rod out of the end of my finger that goes through the bone all the way to the knuckle at the other end of the finger makes my skin crawl. Still in good spirits, but he's still in a lot of pain also. So let's all keep our @#%*# fingers out of places they shouldn't be!

Back