hard wood floors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterbrown12

Reaction score
I just moved. The home hasn't been cleaned properly in atleast 40 years, and there are many years of cat pee n dog pee that was on the carpets n laminate flooring. There was a layer of laminate floor over the wood that has been there since the house was built I'm sure, and then several rugs over that. I have taken all the flooring up and the laminate flooring also and the wood is very pretty. The wood in the living room was painted red n I kinda like it but the dining room (where most of the pee was) is jus the wood its dark colored like oak I think but its not finished so I was wondering if I could use like mean green or something like that to scrub that floor? Wen I used some urine remover from resolve on the floor it jus kept makin my paper towel brown so I no the whole floor needs cleaned! Is there a wood polish I should consider or can I use like a strong cleaner?

I would either use some bleach, which you would want to check before hand and make sure that it wont damage your wood, or maybe some pinesol? I would literally scrub the floors like warehouse workers do...hot water and a scrub brush and then squeegee the excess water out. cat pee and dog pee is one of the hardest odors to get out :/ good luck!

I'm thinking your best bet is to sand the floor down and poly stain it again, any agents like bleach or urine remover will take the Finnish off which you are getting now and will act against the floor staining you put down with out sanding.

Agreed sanding would be best, however I disagree with the bleach recommendation!
Bleach will raise the grain on wood so you'd end up sanding anyway

Back