hardwood floor blunder

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertoingraham

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm putting on 3/4" hardwood flooring over my family room, where the floor is concrete. I nailed in the subfloor using 4'x8' plywood boards. My problem is
that the concrete floor wasn't that leveled and one area where the 4'x8' subfloor boards meet, the don't meet at exactly the same level. This line of discontinuity runs parallel to the direction of the hardwood strips layout. It didn't seem to look like much of a problem but I've now come to this point on my row by row nailing of the hardwood that this 'slight dip down' is making it very difficult to mate the new strip's tongue into the already nailed down strip's groove and nailing the new strip's groove tightly onto the subfloor.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

RI

Either plane down the high side with a sharp scraper, feathering it back about a foot.

OR, use floor leveler over the subfloor on the low side to feather it out.

The floor leveler comes in a powder, you mix it with water and it sets very quickly. Just trowel it on and scrape the ridges, left from the edge of the trowel, before it sets completely.

I'd go for the floor leveler. The scraper is hard to be precise.

If the floor is already installed to this point....shimm, shimmery,,shim..shimmery...shim shimm sheroo....:)
use some tapered shims under the flooring.

Back