Hardwood Floor Cleaning / Refinishing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxdsa

Reaction score
IMG_20180314_122713.jpg IMG_20180314_122721.jpg IMG_20180314_122732.jpg IMG_20180314_122741.jpg IMG_20180314_122753.jpg IMG_20180314_122805.jpg Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for cleaning my hardwood floors - and suggestions on refinishing.

I was thinking of trying to clean them up before making a decision about final steps. Is this a good idea? What should I use? There are definitely some scratches, but also a lot of grime.

Images attached.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Caleb

Last edited by a moderator:
You will spend a lot of hard work and materials to try and clean it up before you refinish, or you could get a sander and take off the top layer, which you will probably do anyway in order to refinish.

Sand and finish. I did mine a few years ago and the time I did floors before that was 30 years. I forgot everything I learned the first time and had to learn the hard way again.

If you are not a pro stay away from the drum sander you rent and rent the big square-vibrating sander. It takes about 3 times as long but way less learning curve and you wont gouge your floors. Getting the old finish off is the hard part and you will go thru a few pieces of the heavy grit paper. When you see it you will think it is way to aggressive but it isn’t. work down with finer and finer sanding pads and then stain or not and finish with water based poly. Do not shake it to mix and do not roll it on. Use the pad made for it or the type for deck stain works well also its like a mohair. The water stuff doesn’t smell to bad and dries pretty fast. The old varnish is great but stinks for a couple weeks and takes a long time to cure.

It’s a fun and dusty job. Your floors would refinish and look great.

Latest posts

Back