Heats out, thermostat singed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb104

Reaction score
So, I wake up and my HVAC system isn’t working. The thermostat was off and the breaker not tripped. I take off my thermostat from the wall and find this. What would have suddenly caused this to happen? And what’s the fix? 11 year old house and unit.
IMG_2345.JPGIMG_2346.JPG

must say i've never seen that happen before.
assuming you replaced it, does the system still work or did it burn up the circuit/control board inside the air handler?

Well, I know this is a long shot, but a bird did get in my heat pump last night and got chopped up. Could that have anything to do with it? They did happen during the same time frame. Nope, not replaced yet

Well, I know this is a long shot, but a bird did get in my heat pump last night and got chopped up. Could that have anything to do with it? They did happen during the same time frame. Nope, not replaced yet

Not likely, thinking more along the lines of a power surge?
You'll want to check the other ends of those wires, the control board and the transformer.

Just a guess but transformer voltage I doubt did that. I would guess the transformer had an internal short and allowed 120V on the secondary side. As mentioned above check the transformer.

Back