Hello from a new member

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsblock11

Reaction score
Hi all, new here and saying hello! I just bought a dream 2nd home retirement/escape in the mountains, only problem is it's a bit of a dump! I'm definitely in over my head and it needs much more work than originally anticipated, but it'll be an adventure (and likely a money pit). I'll probably end up splitting the project into a couple of phases for a general contractor and maybe some DIY stuff on the second phase while he's working on the first, then determine how far I want to go on the DIY.

We've had asbestos popcorn ceiling and linoleum flooring professionally removed so we're ready to begin. My initial focus for DIY will probably be the downstairs bedrooms and hallway - drywall finishing/texturing, painting, flooring, and trim work. New to pretty much all these things but I've done some drywall patching and been capable of learning and doing some plumbing and electrical basics on our main house.

My first thing to figure out is what to do for the ceilings now that the popcorn has been removed. Can I just put a couple of layers of compound on and then spray an orange peel texture on it? I'd like to avoid sanding the ceiling if at all possible - the asbestos was removed but I do see some traces of the material still there under the clear Fiberlock that was applied.

Welcome. I know many people who float a few layers of joint compound, then just prime and paint it. You can also use a light knock down or orange peal finish, then prime and paint. My sister in law used a 6" trowel, and used a joint compound in a swirl design, which looked pretty slick as well. The choice is yours to make!

Back