Hello, from Portland, OR!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrafuese

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New home owner here, wife and I just settling in and rolling up our sleeves to get ready for some much-needed projects on our 1925 bungalow. We're pretty handy on a DIY level, and I've got years of experience in structural framing and woodwork, but I'm always looking to learn more where I can.

First up, we've go a 500 sqft already-converted garage that we're turning into an art/print-making studio. We've begun building some internal framing for new partition walls, insulating, and adding new electrical lines and lighting here and there. It became a big project before we began any of that work, when we found out that the original walls were severely bowed out and out of plumb. So, with some help from my dad, we had to open up one of the main walls and sister-join all of the studs with new, leveled studs. That was fun...

Inside the home, some other, much simpler projects have already been done, like a new lighting fixture in our office with a dimmer switch, as well as new paint on the walls. Pulled out and replaced an old pull-chain toilet in our main bath with a modern Toto brand one (and before you show your disappointment in that, just know that it was not as cool having a pull-chain toilet as you might think... no offense to those that have one and love it, ha!). A few water valve replacements here and there as well, but nothing crazy.

On the non-DIY front, we're going to be hiring out to pursue some more major projects like jacking the house to level it up a bit, re-wiring the knob & tube and changing out the panel, moving a staircase (currently it's a steep, dangerous, narrow staircase that goes up to a converted attic "master" bedroom), adding a bath to the upstairs master bedroom, relocating a coat closet in the process, opening up a wall that separates our living room and a front bedroom (losing the bedroom, but gaining another later in this list), opening up another wall between the dining room and the kitchen (which will eventually get a facelift itself), and finishing a half-assed basement conversion that previous owners began (which will gain back a bedroom after losing the one on the main floor).

So, lots of projects to tackle, but all well-worth the effort and money that will be spent (eventually, slowly), we think.

Anyhow, glad to be here, and looking forward to learning more about what you all have going on as well.

Welcome aboard. I'd love to see a pic of the new home!

Sounds like you have a good handle on it and a good asset in your dad helping. Most of us here learned a lot from our dads and other old timers and here we are now old timers ourselves.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing your projects and you can never have too many ideas or help.

Good luck and :welcome:

:welcome: to House Repair Talk.

Remember for every action, there's an equal and opposite project you didn't plan or budget for....😏

Welcome. Sounds like quite a project. Take plenty of before and after photos; it's amazing how fast the memory of what is (was) there fades. And you can really appreciate all that you accomplish when you can see what was

Back