Hello HRT from Long Island, NY

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenji

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Kenji. I am half Japanese and half English, hence the first name. I was born in NY, and am a total Yankee to the bone though. I wrote a long bio which people probably won't read but I will just summarize again.

Again, I was born in NY. Spent a few years in the Army as a tanker. Finished school and work in IT. I am decently mechanically inclined. I can do basic auto repair, and do most of my motorcycle work myself. With home stuff, though I am a beginner. I am not green though. My father and brother, who are RIP, always fostered and championed a DIY attitude. My brother taught me a lot of motorcycle stuff, and while he was in college he worked as a car and home audio and alarm installer. He was ridiculous with electrical stuff. Went the extra mile as everything had to be meticulous, measured, neat, and organized. My father had an old wooden boat that he had to work on every year. I never understood why he didn't get a modern fiberglass boat that didn't require all the maintenance and care. He enjoyed sanding and painting it. He received pride when it was all done. Same with household projects. Outside of major plumbing and electrical things that were beyond his scope he did almost everything. He was a badass.

There was some wealthy people around me and I grew up with some friends that had ridiculous wealth. It is Long Island, so there are going to be a lot of wealthy CEOs, Hedge fund guys, etc. I am talking like they had intercoms to call people in the house, huge pools, helipads, private movie theaters, and staff and staff quarters. One family had a guest "carriage house" at the front gate that would be most average American homes to shame. I always saw them getting work done by professionals. My Dad and brother were always working on their careers, but in their free time, they were always working on projects and not relaxing, per se. It took e a while to understand they enjoyed the work and the pride in it. So they obviously influenced me a lot. I have always done smaller stuff myself, but am looking to tackle bigger and more ambitious projects.

So I decided to find a forum for house repair and landed here. As an IT guy and motorcycle enthusiast I frequent tech and motorcycle forums a lot, but this is my first foray into a home repair board. Excited to learn from others, and hopefully share whatever I can with others. Happy to be here and looking forward to contributing. Cheers!:)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. My only niece is half Japanese (and a beauty). My son was a Yamaha RTA (regional technical advisor) for a number of years. I built my own house (including mill work) with a Sears radial arm saw.

Welcome Kenji.

You found the right place great bunch here and willing to help when they can. Being rich isn’t everything a great deal of pride can come from DIY. Sounds like you learned a lot from your father and brother. I always worked with my dad as well and learned old ways of doing stuff growing up in the 60s. :welcome:

Not a problem. NY pizza is the best. Although I am sure that to many Chicagoans those are fighting words.

Back