Hello new friends

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamC

Reaction score
I just completed a home purchase this morning and it's going to be a big, ongoing, project to get it back in shape. The house was a bank REO and , altough i got a deal on it, it needs substantial work to get back in into livable condition. I'm going to have to work on everything from plumbing, electrical, drywall, etc. While the house was sitting vacant there was a little vandalism to the interior which I hope has ended now that I am going to start repairs. While i'm working on various projects I'd like to post and join in on several discussions that are related, and hopefully get some much needed input where and when needed.

I mainly bought the house for it's size and location ( big enough to build my home studio and closer to my physical job). It's just under 2200 sq/ft which leaves me enough room to set up the digital studio and it's 1.2 acre lot gives me plenty room to re-explore my love for gardening and aquiring rare plant strains and breeds( I lost my entire house and garden setup in hurricane Katrina). This will be a new start for me, entirely, and I hope to make some friends here to help me get things going when I need the help, and then pass any of my knowledge and tips to others when I can.

WilliamC

hey good luck william... im going throught the exact same thing, but maybe 3 or 4 days behind you... i got an offer on a repo thats overdue for a response. im sniffin' around here looking for tips on the repairs, and i'm learning a lot...

what kind of studio are you talking of, audio recording? gonna build some floating rooms? :)

Welcome WilliamC this is a great place for what your doing and look foward to your project.

Mainly I do some side work dealing with computer modeling/animation and i'm going to start some looking into video editing/production. I'm working with several others, but they in different parts of the world and we communicate through internet meetings so far. Having a physical location finally will help us expand the ideas and equipement faster( i'm currently in a small appartment and there is NO room what-so-ever). While i'm doing the remodeling work I will keep in mind the needs of the future studio, not like I need allot of room for several computers and the such.

I've done some of the work that will be needed in the past in one way or another, it's just that this will be my biggest project to date( and hopefully my final). Good luck to you on purchasing your future home. Mine was actually delayed several weeks waiting on the paperwork to return from the lending company that held the deed on the property. I set up to have a 20 yard dumpster delivered tomorrow morning so i can start cleaning out the trash that was left behind. That's going to set me back $275 but for the job and the amount of cleaning it's the best route instead of locating the dump site and making some 20-od trips with my truck.

Bank REO's are the best route ( financially) for those that can do most of the work themselves. With the internet it's easy to locate theese properties(without falling for those gimics on TV) if you just ask the right questions. I located mine through Coldwell Banker and they seem to list allot of REO's from various lenders.

We bought a Bank REO 8- 1/2 years ago and it has been a ongoing project but we finally got the house done just before last Cnristmas. Was it worth it? Yah you bet it was and I would do it again to.

Back