House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebonyx

Reaction score
I use goo gone on my wooden cabinets often
We recently bought a special goo gone formulated for use on stoves and grills
I, extremely erroneously, believed that this would work essentially the same as the classic goo gone does, just with a foaming agent that helps it grab the loose, thick dirt that appears on these surfaces.

I was extremely wrong. I have been left with a hideous, horrific stain on my wood cabinets and no idea how to get it off. I’ve tried simply washing it off-only causes brown stain to drip all over the floor. I’ve tried using Orange Glo-just made it smell nicer. I have no idea what to do and just really want this horrible staining gone...

Attachments

• E5CD7067-D1ED-4268-8436-F09563B70F60.jpeg
    E5CD7067-D1ED-4268-8436-F09563B70F60.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 59363BBB-597F-4491-8DE2-6FD1BD3C5FCD.jpeg
    59363BBB-597F-4491-8DE2-6FD1BD3C5FCD.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 19
Welcome.

So, of the numerous formulations, for different applications, which do you have?

Saying nothing about wood surfaces, and saying safe for most kitchen surfaces, should have been a clue.

What the product has done is affected the finish, and from the photos began to cause the stain to bleed.

I would attempt to clean one of the damaged doors, on the inside with paint thinner to see if the finish is water based or oil based. and knowing this, remove the door and ask a business like Sinclair, Dunn Edwards, Benjamin Moore paint co's a corrective action.

a local paint expert could repair it. It might seem a little costly but you would be paying for the fix. If your looking for the cheapest method and don't feel comfortable refinishing it yourself it's time to call family and friends. Hopefully you have an Uncle, a friend, or somebody that would be willing to take a weekend to fix it for you. I've done this for family before. Here's what I did:
Take it off and very lightly sand it. After sanding lightly wipe it with a damp cloth and if the stain isn't visible anymore then match the finish like Snoonyb suggested and apply the finish.
If the light sanding doesn't remove it then first make sure it's solid wood.
If it is gently sand it a couple more times and see if you can get the stain sanded off. Then stain the whole thing to match as best you can and apply finish after the stain. Follow instructions on stain can and finish can to the letter.
If it's not solid wood check with your local big box stores and see if they have a matching door you can replace it with ( you can't sand out veneered products ). Sometimes you get lucky and the cabinets have an exact match or have an unfinished version you can stain to match and finish. I've only been this lucky once.

A final option. Get creative and decorate/paint over it. Stencil over a design or even a decorative vinyl sticker. Maybe that cabinet could use and towel rack over it?

Hope that helps. Good luck.

If all else fails you might try A finish restorer. I've used Homer Formbys, but there are other brands.

It is extremely hard to try to “spot repair” a stained and varnished door like that.

You can’t just lightly sand and try to touch up, because you will never get the stain to penetrate the blotchy remainders of the polyurethane or lacquer top coat.

You probably need to take it to a refinishing pro.
Even just trying to custom match the stain color from scratch is usually very tough to do.

Latest posts

Back