Help! I really want a door!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMc1219

Reaction score
We are in the middle of a renovation on a small beach house. In the process of redoing the kitchen, I decided to get rid of a small closet and use it for a stackable washer/dryer unit. I know the depth will have to be extended to fit the unit in there, but I also REALLY want to put a door on this space. I’m being told that it will be difficult to do because of the width of the opening. I would love the opinion of others. The dimensions of the opening currently: W-34 ¾” H-96” D-28” (See picture.) The dimension of the washer/dryer unit is: W-27” H-74 3/8” D-30 3/8”

If we extend the wall on the left side of the opening to accommodate the needed depth will there be enough room for a 30-inch bi-fold door/frame in that 34 ¾” width? Is there something else we can do? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

20220105_082239.jpg

I don’t see any reason you can’t extend the wall out a foot or so and do a bi-fold door if you want to close in the spot. For a beach house I personally have seen quite a few with stackable unites in kitchens with no door and I thought they looked fine.

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I too do not see the problem with leaving the W/D visible. Closing it in with a wall extension and doors creates little hard-to-reach abysses into which socks will disappear.

I would probably go with visible and some custom framing. However something similar to the hardware in the picture below might work.

71sX6-Ja+CL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I really like those hide-away pocket doors.

I have a linen closet with wooden bifold doors set inside 36"W jambs. The jambs prevent the doors from folding back against the wall. So the clearance as shown is 26" W.

0125221937.jpg

You will have a problem with the bi-fold as they do NOT open all the way and will block you from opening the dryer door. Look for another option or leave the door off.

I think we are just talking amongst ourselves ourselves. The OP only read the first response and hasn't returned. However this link has instructions for building a cabinet with pivot/pocket doors that someone else might be interested in. Of course the OP wouldn't need a full cabinet maybe sides and a top for a shelf above. For the doors I think I would look for cabinet doors as it's hard to keep plywood flat. Maybe building face frames with thin plywood or hardboard backing would work.

Hidden Washer and Dryer Cabinet

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I especially like the pivot/pocket door idea. I'll definitely pass all these thoughts on to our builder. :)

Back