Help Identifying a Bulb

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomsmonticello76

Reaction score
This bulb came out of my ceiling fan and I'm having a hard time finding the replacement. Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• ceiling-fan-light-bulbs-photo-5.jpg
    ceiling-fan-light-bulbs-photo-5.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 13
Is that a standard size base or is it smaller. Take another picture beside a ruler for reference.

It is 120 volt 60 watts. Looks like a halogen lamp.

As mentioned, it looks like a halogen bulb. Probably very common 5 or ten years ago. Probably still available but everything is going to LED. If you have enough room in your fixture for an LED bulb (LED will be bigger) should swap it out to LED. 60W halogen will produce about 800 Lumens.
You need to measure accurately the size of the base (i.e. 10mm dia , 11mm dia....) to ensure you buy the right size.
https://www.bulbs.com/learning/basechart.aspx

If it is an E12 base size (small base size) and you are looking for very bright bulbs, what worked for me in my ceiling fans as an option was to install E12 to E26 (medium size base size) adaptors. By doing this I was able to install a very bright LED bulbs with the medium base (E26) which would compare to the base size of a standard light bulb you most likely use in your lamps around the house or standard light fixtures. Otherwise, getting a very bright E12 LED bulb with an E12 base is not easy. Most are about 300 Lumens and around 3000K (Kelvin). These are ok but not bright white and more of a glow. Not ideal for my living room and dining room. It depends on what kind of lighting you are looking for. If you want bright light and a day light color, get an LED bulb with 5000K and the highest Lumen value you can find. I use 5000K and 1200 Lumens bulbs in my ceiling fans. I bought a package of 10 adapters for around $15 total.

They make LED lamps with the smaller (candelabra-E12-C7 and intermediate-E17-C9) bases although not all permutations of different styles and color temperatures in all bulb shapes and base sizes.

Caution: Some LED lamps have a plastic collar just above the metal base (like in the picture above) that is too large to fit down into some fixture sockets of the correct size.

Last edited:
Back