Help me fix my drywall mess

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vargil

Reaction score
This was my first attempt at patching some drywall and I did it horribly. I took out a a closet and tried to just replace the sections where the wood existed. I guess it was more uneven than I thought it would be. Obviously the paint doesn't help. I don't know much about skimming and am wondering if I am better off tearing it out and redoing the whole section of the wall.

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2022.JPG

I would try skimming with a 12" drywall blade, sanding, skimming and sanding again before I started ripping out drywall. About the time you get the hang of skim coating, you'll be done..😉

Looks like you tried using to much mud at one time, not enough coats, and no where near a wide enough knife.
The key is use thin coats, done right there is no need to sand the first two coats, just knock off any high spots with the knife and apply the next coat over it with a wider knife.
I start with a 6" knife to set the tape then use a 10" for the second and third.
After the third coat sand with a sanding sponge in a ciruler motion.
Run your hand over the repaired area, if you can feel a flaw fix it, no paint is going to fix a flaw.
Really need to be priming any repairs, not using so called primer and paint in one.
Once primed check the wall again, primmer is going to show every flaw.
If there is some fix them do not just paint over them.

Latest posts

Back