Help me salvage my garage roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadiddle

Reaction score
In a perfect world I would pay someone to demolish my garage and start from scratch, but trying to work with what I have is the only sensible option for me.

The roof is bad news..it leaks like crazy. The solution there will be replacing the metal/plastic corrugated sheeting that is currently just sitting up there and actually installing it.

But I have these rotted out eaves/soffit/fascia (I am a pretty novice DIYer, so feel free to correct me) that are a horrible eyesore and a huge annoyance. My garage is constantly getting leaves blown and it is only a matter of time before critters figure this out and take up residence in my garage.

How do I get started repairing this?IMG_20200415_081434068.jpg
IMG_20200415_081439372.jpg

How much pitch is there on the roof? The structure is solid, so I wouldn't be inclined to tear it down. I might think about putting a gable roof on it using manufactured trusses. You could even get trusses that are built to allow storage above. Then you could go with a standard shingle roof. I have a truss manufacturer about 5 miles from my house that I've used for a couple of projects.

Here is a link with one type. It was just one of the first that came up from my search. Menards isn't local to me, but you should be able to get custom trusses at a commercial building supply house or directly from a truss maker. https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...ial-roof-truss-74/1889301/p-1444448818714.htm

With a flat, slight slope roof you probably want to go with a membrane roof.

It looks like 20 years of rot.It likely need a new wood structure.
I agree, evaluate the the condition of the structure before you do anything. Rotten framing and decking will need to be replaced as needed. Make sure you don't have any low spots on the roof to avoid pounding water issues in the future.

I am with Sparky on this one. Flat roof is just a bad idea. But he probably scared you off with the price of example truss. But if you search Menards for 16' common residential truss, the prices are a lot more reasonable.

I am with Sparky on this one. Flat roof is just a bad idea. But he probably scared you off with the price of example truss. But if you search Menards for 16' common residential truss, the prices are a lot more reasonable.
It has been a few years since I had some trusses made for a screen project I did. They weren't terribly expensive. I was just looking for a picture of trusses, especially storage trusses. I used a truss that was for a 12' wide screen porch with a cathedral ceiling. The trusses were definitely cheaper than rafter and joists, much faster too.

The cinder block building looks solid. A new roof structure would definitely be worth it, IMHO.

The block work looks solid. I do wonder about the corners as they look straight stacked or something.

If it was mine I would rip off what’s on top and salvage what looks good. I would then build up the two courses of blocks to match the front and make the top all one height. Cap it off with a top plate anchored into the blocks and then do a Truss roof based around what it will be used for. 4/12 or even 3/12 and if you just want weather protection and a pole barn metal roof you can put your trusses even on 48” spacing depending on snow load span etc. and purlins then metal roof system.

The added height inside looks like it would be nice and not add a lot to the cost.

The block work looks solid. I do wonder about the corners as they look straight stacked or something.

Looking at the top picture the corners look like the blocks alternate. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by straight stack.

Looking at the top picture the corners look like the blocks alternate. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by straight stack.
I see it now. it looks like there is a decorative line in each block and in the second pic it didn’t look like they were lapped in the corner.

I see it now. it looks like there is a decorative line in each block and in the second pic it didn’t look like they were lapped in the corner.
It almost looks like in the second picture that the blocks are cracked in a straight line. Probably a little shifting going on in those walls.

Back