Help! Need Pro advice?! Is this raccoon pee?!?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
IMG_8389.JPG IMG_8390.JPG Hi guys. Need some pro advice. So story is, I had some critters get into my attic but the animal control guy said something was in there (years old droppings
and disturbed insulation) but animal I heard the other day has since left as he didn't see anything that would indicate camping critters like fresh poop or anything like that. There's also a stain on ceiling in one upstairs room which might be coon pee! Roof is sealed and they came in thru small hole under outside chimney box.
Take a look at these pics. Does this look like coon pee? The room smells like cat pee!!! Wth? Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh...we're good at a lot of things. Determining pee origination probably isn't one of them. Smells like pee, probably is. Scatter some moth balls around the area they are entering then seal it off real well. Pet stores sell an odor remover that may help with the smell. Stain blocker like Kilz, then touch up paint.

I had, apparently, an entire family of critters break into the attic of an empty house and lived there for (apparently) months. This looks familiar but mine was much worse. The raccoons (best guess from the droppings) would return to the same areas to void, and the drywall ceiling in the 'spots' had multiple bows and mildewed areas from the critters. By the time I discovered them they were gone but had created a huge mess not only in the attic, but where the drywall broke thru from the moisture/weakness, they had gotten into the living areas too and went wild. To repair the 'not so damaged' parts of the ceiling, I had to use multiple coats of kilz and then I was able to paint over. Other parts I had to just fully replace where the drywall had mildewed and bowed from the moisture. You got off easy if your spots are all like that. Yes, a terrible odor was included with the presents in the attic.

I had, apparently, an entire family of critters break into the attic of an empty house and lived there for (apparently) months. This looks familiar but mine was much worse. The raccoons (best guess from the droppings) would return to the same areas to void, and the drywall ceiling in the 'spots' had multiple bows and mildewed areas from the critters. By the time I discovered them they were gone but had created a huge mess not only in the attic, but where the drywall broke thru from the moisture/weakness, they had gotten into the living areas too and went wild. To repair the 'not so damaged' parts of the ceiling, I had to use multiple coats of kilz and then I was able to paint over. Other parts I had to just fully replace where the drywall had mildewed and bowed from the moisture. You got off easy if your spots are all like that. Yes, a terrible odor was included with the presents in the attic.
Yeah there were raccoons up there but all the droppings are years old. These are the only two stains in the whole house. I since went up there and removed the insulation to see if the areas with these lite stains was all nasty from attic side and I don't even see any stains on the attic side of the ceiling. Weird. There's a lot of old poop from coons and birds up there. Was beginning to think these were water stains but I'll never know. Since then I've repainted with kilz sealer 5 coats and it looks terrible because the kilz doesn't match at all

Attachments

• IMG_9593.PNG
    IMG_9593.PNG
    211.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9594.PNG
    IMG_9594.PNG
    266.2 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back