Help needed to determine whether I should continue fixing or not

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karig13

Reaction score
Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum and I hope it doesnt get negative feedback :D

The thing is, I recently got the idea that I could use a room on the upper floor of an old cement workshop or whatever (the upper floor is filled with sand and cat poo). Signs of possible molding. The idea was that it would be a studio for my mixing/mastering projects and it would be acoustically treated (and painted). Other things such as parket are not so important (a large thick IKEA carpet would most likely be on the floor). I would take out all of the stuff, throw away all of the sand and paint the walls but is all this work worth doing?

The house is near Reykjavik, Iceland and the weather is very chaotic :hide:

Info or tips would be gladly appreciated

thanks!

pics

Ground floor (before walking up the stairs): Yfrog - img9176
Top of stairs: Yfrog - img9178
Ceiling room 2 (room 1 and 2 seperated by door): Yfrog - img9179
Wall at entrance of room: Yfrog - img9180i
Other wall at entrance of room: Yfrog - p6160036.jpg
Inside the main room: Yfrog - img9187c
Inside the main room (2): Yfrog - img9188
Inside the main room (3): Yfrog - img9189
Inside the main room (4): Yfrog - img9190b
Ceiling main room: Yfrog - img9191

Pics of room 2 can be arranged if asked for

ps. Ill be updating the process on twitter if this gets a positive view ;)

Welcome to the forum. I looked at the pictures and the place is rough, but if you are just going to use it for a working studio it looks salvageable. Do you need to heat it and if so, how can you do that? Do you need a working toilet / bathroom on the premises?

Hi Karig13:

I agree with travelover's opinion that it might be salvagable. Hard to tell from photo's. As he points out, the utilities (heat, light, electricity and toilet facilities) are the most important things and would be the most difficult and expensive to correct.

As to your question of whether or not it is "worth" fixing up, the answer that question is to compare how much you will spend fixing it up (include what ever your time is worth) compared to what it would cost to rent facilities that are already 'livable' times 2 or 3 years. I used the 2 or 3 year number based on my personal experience of changing work locations in that time frame. That number may be different fo you. To me. 'worth' is only a financial question. There may be other factors such as proximity to your home or the quality of the neighborhood.

Latest posts

Back