Help removing metal shower drain

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks to me as a threaded on piece, because it's a part that may need to be damaged and replaced.

If it is difficult to remove it can be cut in several places with a sawzall.

I think I understand what you are saying after doing a bit more research. I see people saying that plate that has the nut on it is attached to the rest of the drain system using some type of lead bonding. You are saying the drain screen nipple piece should unscrew out of that nut or need to be cut out. Then use the adapter you are talking about to then screw in there. Do know how i could something to grab onto the the drain screen nipple to turn.

I have a 22"channel locks, and if that doesn't work I go to a pipe wrench, next is the sawzall and I cut diagonally across the top in several places, but you can forget all that with a 3' pipe wrench and a 4' length˙ pipe to make a breaker.

If you believe there was solder used you can apply some heat to the galv. nipple while attempting to turn the nipple with the breaker assembly.

Back