help to indentify windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveh

Reaction score
I am working on a house that has a type of window i have never seen before. They are double hung, wood, double pane,with springs in plastic tubes that assist in opening. I need to replace one, and have the glass repaired on another,.
thanks for any help
DaveH

IMG_0081.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, DaveH If you could post some pics that would be great. I know what windows you are talking about but usually what i do is yank them out and install a vinyl replacement window.

I Do not want to replace them, I am way over budget on this one, How do you post pics?

Unless you can find some writing or an insignia on them, you may be out of luck. Try taking your picture and a window sash to a glass company to see what they can do for you. Some good lumber yards may also know the window just by sight.
Good luck.

the spring on top should be held in by a screw and the spring is attached on to the sash usually with a nail. take this apart and try and find a spring of the same size and reinstall or go to a hardware store,local window company and ask if they have done any of these windows lately or in the near future so you can get the parts you need, they might even have them in the dumpster, and if they do have parts, take extras. Ask neibors if they have the same window, maybe their going to replace their windows and If so can you have the parts, If you give some pics on the outside of a sash we can probably help you figure out how to get the glass out and measure for new glass and reinstall since this is not the best time of the year to take a sash out and down to a glass co in mich unless you plastic the opening. Hope this helps, good luck.

We just got done doing a house with the exact same issues. Just replacing the double pane glass was going to cost almost $200 per SASH! We found that some of the local glass companies could do double pane glass. The customer decided to go with nice vinyl replacement units. hth, Doug

Back