Help with Framing a exterior door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrk

Reaction score
I need some guidance on cutting a rough opening for an exterior door size 32x79". I will be cutting through brick. The inside of the wall is already framed for a door. the rough measurements are 36x80. Do I add 1 1/2 to each side? Do I use 1x4's for the door casing? What else do I need to know or do? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Lisa

I need some guidance on cutting a rough opening for an exterior door size 32x79". I will be cutting through brick. The inside of the wall is already framed for a door. the rough measurements are 36x80. Do I add 1 1/2 to each side? Do I use 1x4's for the door casing? What else do I need to know or do? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Lisa
Welcome to the forum Lisa, first off the measurements of that door sounds like the door itself without the door jamb. Is that right??
A 32" exterior door needs a total rough opening of 34" width and 82" to 82 -1/2" high which means you will have to add 1" to both sides of the present rought opening or buy a 34" prehung door.
Could we get some pics of the new door, the inside where the door is going and a shot of the outside where the door is going??

Welcome Lisa:
I would start from the inside with my hammer-drill and a 1/4" bit drilling the two top corners to get an exact location on the outside. I agree with FHI on putting in a 36" door but it appears you have something to work back to.
Yes, there should be 1-1/2" added to each side and the top to allow you to get the frame in place and shim it to exact plumb and level while making a perfect fit for the door. I like for my doors to have the space of a nickel around it in the frame.
Yes, 1 X 4s will make a fine casing or there are other casings at the big box store if you want to spend the money.
To cut the opening in the brick, I would use a wet diamond blade in a gas powered concrete saw from the rental place. Keeping the blade wet will keep the blade from wearing out so quickly and keep the dust down for you. Please wear leather gloves and gogles to protect yourself and let us know how it turns out.
Glenn

Hold on... Irk...are you cutting a new hole in the brick which did not previously exist? If so you will need to support the brick above with a lentil...and flash the bottom of the door opening...and finish the outside brick work with some kind of trim to cover the cut.

The opening at the framing is supporting the structure above with a header?
This is one of those questions where a picture or two would get you a good answer.
I could be misunderstanding your question...but It sounds like a bigger job than we think.
Anyone?

Cutting a door opening through a brick wall can actually be dangerous. If the brick is in good shape, there could still be problems with the mortar, settling and/or load bearing issues.. Is this wall on a house with 1 floor or 2? If there is an upstairs above, then you will need to consider what you need to support the brick above the cut, it may take more than a lintel. Then there is the issue of the wall ties. Be careful when pulling the bricks down, they may be attached to wall studs in a way that could cause the brick to suddenly pop loose when you pull against them. It's best to remove a few bricks at a time than to try to pull away large areas.
Good Golly, this is one of those jobs where a pro might be needed...

Back