Help with Painting faded Front Door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Diggler

Reaction score
Please see attached pictures. My house is coming up on 5 years old and my front door and porch door (both facing south) are badly faded from the sun. Both doors are fiberglass and the builder stained them I think (not sure of you can tell by looking at them)? I need to repaint them but I’m not sure what to use on them? I’m looking for the same color brown and preferably keep a similar look like the top half’s of the door now with the wood grain look and not just a solid dark brown. Any ideas on what to use? I want it to hold up this time in the sun. Thanks.4AC68E0D-A72C-45EA-897E-FFC912A2FE2D.jpeg7F9C4665-D833-44B6-89CD-5444E6A8542E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've woodgrained or painted many fiberglass doors. Because the stain used when graining is top coated with a clear latex urethane, there is virtually no UV protection so South and West facing doors degrade quickly. You can try to strip the stain off the door and do it again, but you'll see the same situation again in a few years. You may wish to just accept the reality of the situation and paint. FWIW YMMV

If I had to do this one I'd sand it all off, use a gel stain, then seal it with Bristol finish.
It has 5 times the UV protection of any marine spar, self leveling, fast drying.
http://bristolfinish.us/It's what any pro boat restorers use all on there bright work.

Can you really stain fiberglass?

Seems like the stain could not soak in like wood, only adhere to the surface.

That's what I would have thought to but the finishing directions on the two I have installed all suggested using a Gel stain.

A few months after I gave up on my faded front door, the wifey came out and rubbed some Pledge (or whatever she was using at the moment) on the faded part. The door now looks like new. Guess I'll need to check it every now-and-then and reapply the Pledge. Helluva lot better than repainting it!

Latest posts

Back