Help with seeding a steep hill

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFDO

Reaction score
I have a steep hill that had very bad erosion. My power company recently did some work on this hill and made a mess with there large equipment.
They may come back and fix this, but now sure if that will happen.
Any suggestion of how to seed this hill.
I will provide current pic of how the hill looks now.
Thank You

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 11.27.37 PM.png

I think the power company would be held responsible.Don't let them off the hook. Mine has always repaired any damage to my lawn.

what would be a good way to seed this hill, I worry about erosion. Would a seed blanket be best?

They have straw mats available at the home and garden centers that work well on slopes. Hold it down with landscape staples. Given the slope just spreading straw may not be enough, it could wash away if you get a big storm. You need to break up the soil a bit to get the seed something to bite into. A rented slit seeder or a plug aerator would be a good start. You might also want to top dress this with commercial compost from a landscape supply yard. I can get a pick-up load for about $25. I've done this on my yard and you can see exactly where the compost stops by the lushness and green color of the grass. Now is the time to reseed. Check with the utility to see if they plan on coming back to repair their work. That they didn't just throw some seed and straw down after they finished can be read that 1. they don't consider it their problem or 2. they wanted to do it at the best time for reseeding. I'd lean towards 1 being their thought process.

You might want to hit this with some Round-Up first to remove the weeds that have cropped up.

Latest posts

Back