Hi from my new Ford Historic Home

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tqm, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1

tqm

tqm

tqm

Hi everybody...

Nice to see you all (so to speak). Not new to newsgroups/discussion forums and I've read your 10 commandments. That's a nice sticky to have by the way...

Right so I made the plunge in a big way!!!! I bought a 1919 home in a (sort of) historic neighborhood. I say, sort of, because it's not a "federal" historic neighborhood or even a "state" historic neighborhood. Only a local "city" historic "distric". There's a HOA of sorts (no dues) that has meetings and by-laws etc. Basically to maintain the look and feel of the neighborhood. I'm with that... really I am.

Home has had only 2 or 3 prior owners. I bought it from a family who had lived here for 45 years. Last major updating was in the early 80's when they added a room off the back.

As I said... nice to see you all and I'm sure you'll be seeing some posts from me over the coming months.

Jeff

2. Mar 9, 2009 #2

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

We love old homes and the stories that go with them. Glad to help anytime we can, and hope you help out where you feel comfortable.:D

3. Mar 9, 2009 #3

mudmixer

mudmixer

mudmixer

Contractor

Welcome!!!

If it is a "Ford" home, could it be in NE Detroit of is it a generic term?

You are lucky to have a HOA. Get involved and keep it going in the right dorection to maintain the value of your asset. - Make sure the association protects you in some way from liability.

Dick

4. Mar 9, 2009 #4

tqm

tqm

tqm

NE Detroit... oh it's not a "Ford Family" home it's actually a home in the first planned sub-division in the country (so I understand). It's about 6 blocks of homes that were built by Henry Ford for the workers of the Ford Tractor Company (1919, 1920)You can read a lot about this neighborhood at

(you know what goes here)fordhomes(one more)org

Tomorrow I'll post an article I found in Cottage Living a while back. It's got some nice pic's

5. Mar 9, 2009 #5

travelover

travelover

travelover

Congratulations. I have a friend that lives in a Ford home north of the Research and Engineering Center in Dearborn. He really loves his place and has a good relationship with his neighbors that have the same "model" - swapping tips and remodeling ideas for the same floor plan.