Hi. I put screws in wood.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtis73

Reaction score
I've posted several times but not sure if I did an intro.

Name's Curtis. I live in Harrisburg PA by way of everywhere else; Evansville, IN, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Miami, Austin, Heidelberg Germany, Kingston ON... and others I'm probably forgetting. My building experience is somewhat extensive, but widely varied, so I'm jack of all trades, master of only a couple. Most of my experience is in Scenic construction. I'm currently a technical director for a local theater. I build the sets, coordinate lighting designs/sound designs, and generally play with creating fun things all day. This experience means I have a ton of skills and materials knowledge... but it is all in making things LOOK like something real. When it comes to proper/code/safe home renovations and construction, I'm sure some of you would look at it and say, "that is a really cute attempt."

My job is to make an artistic representation of something real that needs to last 4 weeks and not kill actors in the process.

I have renovated several homes, but most of it has been lighter work; flooring, adding an outlet, drywall repair, etc.

I'm looking forward to adding help. I have specific strengths in:
- design
- color choices/pairings
- light electrical and plumbing
- renovations
- creative solutions to odd ideas
- flooring (particularly hardwoods and refinishing)
- DIY decorating, including sewing, fine carpentry, and trim/millwork
- structural construction where "the right way" isn't important. (I can build strong stuff, just not well versed in how pros do it.)

Things I don't know:
- structural building "the right way"
- roofing/siding. I've done it, but don't really know anything about it.
- drywall. I can do it, I just hate it.
- masonry. Voodoo. You masons are my heroes.

When I'm not renovating a worthless old house, my hobby is everything cars; building engines, engineering drivelines and suspensions, customizing old rustbuckets.

Welcome, That is my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Camp Hill and worked on 3rd Street right across from the Capital grounds back in the mid 1980s.

Back