Hidden Access Panel Door Hinge Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FixxIsFun

Reaction score
I've been trying to finish off the tiled area under my Jacuzzi tub, but can't get a good hinge solution for the door. Tiles are large (heavy (1' x 16" x 3/8ths) and the tile + mastic + backer board (3/4") means that in order to match the 1/8" grout line spacing, I need a hinge type that allows for essentially a flat closure (like a drawer closes). Standard "Pivot on one side hinges" leaves too much space when closed after including clearance tolerance. I have found 2 videos online showing what I can describe as a rotating bar hinge systems access door frame that rotates flush and then is pushed straight in (which solves the grout line tolerance problem). But no matter what I guess to put into Google search, it only shows me typical access panel, cabinet etc hinge systems and/or regular fixed position pivot style hinges. Does anyone know the name of the hinge type that is in this video so I can enter the correct terms into a search for a supplier?

That's an interesting hinge. It has several hits on youtube and pinterest and none show a source. It's frustrating making one wonder why they bothered to post the videos. I'm not a hinge expert but I believe that there may be some individual hinges available that operate in that manner but whether they would bear the load may be questionable. Maybe multiple hinges.

This is not exactly the same hinge, but possibly gives you the motion that you are looking for.
Parallel Lift Opening System. You don't want any counterbalance force, so you would want one of the cheap types that use extension springs or separate gas struts for counterbalance, and then you would want to omit those.
Also you would need a magnetic push latch (or two) to keep it closed

Attachments

• Parallel lift Hinge.jpg
    Parallel lift Hinge.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
Back