Hinge for horizontal fence board

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaka

Reaction score
Hello! I was hoping someone here could help me with this question. I want to make a horizontal cut in the bottom board (1x8) pictured here and be able to flip up the bottom half so i can sweep the deck with somewhere for the debris (pollen/leaves) to go. I've been looking at hinges, and it seems a butt hinge would do it. I see they have spring loaded butt hinges, but was looking for ones that had the ability to stay open at 180 (resting state) and 90 (flap is open). are cabinet hinges a better choice? or should i just use the butt hinge and find a way to keep it open (hook/eye) when needed?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 8
Our house came with a wheelchair ramp and deck and had a similar lower board that made snow removal a pain. I just took it off and it caused no problems.

In your case I would take it off and rip about 2” off and put it back up. No need to have a hinge it will look better without one.

Thanks Bud16415, you might be on to something! but, I'm not sure my wife would be that flexible (aesthetically)... and i should also mention that i have a toddler, so trying to keep some structural integrity so the kid doesn't go out with the leaves (and in case we ever sell the joint). :)

As long as you can't pass a softball under the board you're toddler will be fine. The wide side of a 2x4 is a good spacer as well.

Back