Home Depot and Military discount

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertRider

Reaction score
I don’t usually shop at Home Depot, too far away, but yesterday, I happened to be close to one, so I stopped in to pick up some electrical items to run a dedicated circuit for a new Lathe I just purchased... got to checkout, and ask for the Military discount. “Sorry, Electrical is not discounted”... there was over $300. Of conduit, wire, (Geez 10 gauge Romex price has doubled!) circuit breakers and other items ... so much for their honoring the Veterans... I pushed the cart out of the way, and said “thanks, but I’ll go to Lowe’s where they really do honor the Vets”!

It was childish I know, but I would rather spend my money where your Military Service really is appreciated... ( besides $30 + bucks is 30 bucks)

Lowe's tightened their discount by not discounting on sale items but other than that I've always gotten the discount at Lowe's. On some sale items they were selling stuff below cost with the discount, so I get that. Lowe's is 2 miles from my house, Home Depot (and another Lowe's) is 8 miles, so Lowe's gets the majority of my business. I do use a local wood treating business for pressure treated wood and an electrical supply house for electrical, especially less common purchases that Lowe's doesn't have.

Lowe's has been wiped out on electrical boxes for awhile now. Home Depot had a better selection, especially on old work boxes. Even the electrical house has had trouble getting boxes. I think the manufacturers are having problems getting the resin for plastic boxes.

I don’t usually shop at Home Depot, too far away, but yesterday, I happened to be close to one, so I stopped in to pick up some electrical items to run a dedicated circuit for a new Lathe I just purchased... got to checkout, and ask for the Military discount. “Sorry, Electrical is not discounted”... there was over $300. Of conduit, wire, (Geez 10 gauge Romex price has doubled!) circuit breakers and other items ... so much for their honoring the Veterans... I pushed the cart out of the way, and said “thanks, but I’ll go to Lowe’s where they really do honor the Vets”!

It was childish I know, but I would rather spend my money where your Military Service really is appreciated... ( besides $30 + bucks is 30 bucks)
There's always fine print & it's not always in print. I don't bother to ask for a veteran, guv worker, old guy discount.

If you want to make them nervous, ask for what they just said in writing.

The checkers have the ability to issue that 10% on an instant override for anyone. My HD gal knows I'm not a military vereran but I told her it seems that after fighting the American war for 25 years as a law enforcement officer should count for something. She swipes her 10% "no questions asked" for all purchases and gives it to me. Maybe a bit of sweet talking goes a long was to make a happy customer, and hopefully give them a great review.

Latest posts

Back