Home window tinting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdk2006

Reaction score
We have a south facing office window (room used daily) that is very warm and puts quite a glare on the computer screens. We are looking at professional tinting options and thought we would go fairly dark, like 20% Visible Light Transmission. These newer types of tints seem to allow you to see outside clearly still. What would be drawbacks of going darker? Would it potentially heat up the glass and cause it to shatter?

We have a south facing office window (room used daily) that is very warm and puts quite a glare on the computer screens. We are looking at professional tinting options and thought we would go fairly dark, like 20% Visible Light Transmission. These newer types of tints seem to allow you to see outside clearly still. What would be drawbacks of going darker? Would it potentially heat up the glass and cause it to shatter?
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not an expert. I think the films are made to not just absorb the light but have the outside facing layer designed to reflect light. I think they are safe to use. The office I used to work in had the windows done and it was cooler but for me it always looked like it was about to rain out.

I can't comment on the window tinting, but consider also an awning. When I put awning over my deck, it made a huge difference in heat gain through the patio doors. Awning fabric is specified by how much light it blocks, i.e 50%, 75%, 80%

not sure the age of you windows but, check the fine print for warranty purposes.
tinting may void the warranty

I'd recommend having it done, with a lifetime warranty from Lumar or another high quality film. If it ever turns purple, or scratches, they will replace it for free.

Latest posts

Back