hose draining into crawl space + duct leaks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumblingthrough

Reaction score
Hi. I live in a 50-yr-old split-level house in North Carolina. I don't know a lot about HVACs but have been investigating our crawl space due to some mold problems we're having (lots of mold in the crawl, and now a good bit in the house). One of the big areas of mold/mildew growth seems to be coming from a hose running from our air handler. I'm thinking this is condensate? I was surprised to find the end of the hose is just laying there in a heap of moldy mud near the wall under there.

1.Where should that be draining?
Can I just get a longer hose and put it out of the crawl space vent? Or is there another, more professional solution?

2. Do those hoses come in sizes?
(Meaning do I have to go back under there to check the specs of the hose, or can I just go ask for one at Home Depot?)

ALSO. Again, I don't know a lot about HVACs, so bear with me. The air handler seems properly sealed to whatever comes out of it on the one side. On the other side, there was a big gap where the tape + white stuff (mastic?) had come loose. This is between the air handler and whatever it attaches to. (All I remember from the label on the thing is the word "inside," if that helps.) And then there's another large leak between that thing and the ductwork it attaches to as well.

3. What should I use to seal those leaks?

4. Are those leaks likely the main entry point of mold into our house?
(Our supply registers are pretty moldy. Cleaning those and vacuuming out what I can reach behind them is my next plan.)

Thank you so much for any advice!

I would be tempted to replace the whole hose from above the floor instead of splicing it. can you run it out the side of the house and avoid the crawl space.

Moisture is the culprit with all molds so yes you want to get it outside where it belongs.

They sell tiny pumps with a small sump and float that will pump the water away if it isn’t practical to have it flow down hill.

Latest posts

Back