Hot Tub Plan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harborremodel

Reaction score
I'm looking at running a circuit for a hot tub that requires 50amps. My main panel is pretty full but there is a 40amp dedicated circuit that was installed for an electric stove that isn't utilized anymore because it's been switched out to a gas stove. Here's my plan I'd like some feedback.

Run Length: 75' from main panel to hot tub. 50' of run is from main to spa panel and then from spa panel to spa it's 25'

Hot Tub Requirement:

4 wire 50 amp 220v service

PLAN:

1. Switch out 40amp breaker in the main panel to a 60amp
2. Run #6 THHN from main panel 50' out to GFCI hot tub panel with 50amp GFCI breaker
3. Run #8 from hot tub breaker to hot tub
4. The whole run is contained in 1" Sch. 80 with all joints glued.

Not sure if code requires a 120 branch circuit from the spa panel or not.

Last edited:
Another 75' of #6 isn't that much more expensive, use #6 all the way.

Another 75' of #6 isn't that much more expensive, use #6 all the way.

Yeah I started thinking the same after i posted. It's a total 75' run for everything so i might just buy the 100' THHN rolls.

After knocking out yet another tile wall to get access to one leaky copper fitting in the supply line to the bathtub, I have to say: There’s got to be a better way than this. Are these pipes being run any differently on new homes than they were 80 years ago?

Most of my work is remodeling older homes, so I have to confess I’m not up on all the latest building developments. I do know someone who ended up cutting through an exterior wall to access the pipes behind his one-piece shower/bath enclosure. This was in a 4 year old, $750k house run with copper, not pex.

Has anyone seen a better way to plumb bathrooms? The current method of waiting for water damage to show up on 1st floor ceilings or in the basement, then tearing out walls, seems kind of ridiculous.
Welcome to the forum.

The thread you posted to is a few year old and about hot tub wiring.

We would ask if you have a question about plumbing, that you start a new thread in the proper forum.

You will get better answers quicker and it keeps everything straighter when people do searches for information.

Back