Hot water in bathroom sink gradually goes from strong flow to drips within a minute

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adifrank

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a strange problem with the hot water in my bathroom sink.
The hot water in the shower and the kitchen are perfectly fine.
The problem exists only in the bathroom sink. When I turn on the hot water, the water pressure goes from full pressure to a drip in a matter of seconds. It's not always the same result. Sometimes it maintains a weak drizzle for about a minute before it goes down to a drip. But it always starts out strong and gradually weakens.

Here's a video so you get a better idea:
https://imgur.com/a/bGCggbo

Does anyone have any clue what could be the problem and how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks!

Shut the hot water off at the angle stop below the sink, open the faucet slightly, with a screwdriver remove the screw and the handle from the faucet stem, then with either a crescent wrench or channel locks remove the stem and purchase and replace the washer or the complete stem.

The handle may not want to come off and there is an inexpensive tool for that, or just wiggle and pry it off.

When you reassemble, use a little faucet lube on the stem and the handle will be easier to remove next time.

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply.
For some reason I didn't get any notifications in my email about replies to this thread.
I'm pretty sure that exact faucet was replaced about a year ago. Hmmm. Maybe it was faulty.
I'll follow your instructions probably some time next week and let you know how it went.

When you reassemble, use a little faucet lube on the stem and the handle will be easier to remove next time.
Is faucet lube the same as plumber's grease?

Thanks!

Before I'd do any of the suggested fixes I would have shut off the stop valve and removed the supply line to the faucet with a basin wrench.
Bend the line down into a bucket and open the valve up to see if you have full flow.
Full flow it's a faucet issue, low flow it's a stop valve issue.
Anytime I change a faucet (unless it's a new house) I always plan on also changing the stop valve.
They can get stopped up, stems can stick or leak, far better to just change them to a 1/4 turn valve while your there.

Thanks all!
So I shut the main water valve under the sink and removed the hot water knob and stem. There was a screw at the bottom of the stem that was rather loose. I have no idea what the screw does, but I decided to tighten it and place the stem and knob back in place. Switched on the hot water again and it's fixed!
Thanks

There should have been a washer under the screw, which is secured to the stem by the screw.

Back