HOT weather painting?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronx

Reaction score
Is the current LA hot spell the wrong time to paint my old White Stucco House?

I have painted in some hot weather and it didn’t seem to affect the paint as much as it did me.

My experience is similar to Bud's - but:

1) Paint dries in tools a lot faster - plan on frequent cleanup.
2) I almost always use Floetrol to slow drying time.
3) I only paint surfaces that are in shade* and will stay in shade while the paint dries (more than to touch - at least a couple of hours).
4) In spite of all that, if temp will get much above 90 I use those hours for prep work.

*I just checked with an infrared thermometer. Air temp is 92. Wall of house continuously in shade is 92. Wall of house in full sun is 144.

As long as you are not painting in direct sun, the ambient air temperature is not an issue.

As long as you are not painting in direct sun, the ambient air temperature is not an issue.

Perhaps, but the paint I am currently using, and all other I recall reading the specific instructions (hmm... other than the one I just read, I wonder how many years it has been since I actually read a paint can?) say the air temperature should not be above 90. I have applied a LOT of paint when it was hotter than that but have learned to use the procedures I listed above.

It just occurred to me that as a resident of the Sacramento valley I make the unconscious assumption that hot = dry. Forcast humidity for this afternoon is 16%, heading down to 12% on Friday. Painting where hot = humid is outside my experience and may be a whole different world.

In all the years I was in business, ambient air temp never proved to be an issue for the paint, just for me. That being said, you won't go wrong following the manufacturer's instructions.

The result when painting the outside indeed depends largely on the weather conditions. My advice is first choose a good quality exterior paint. Woodyexpert has overviews about stucco paints you can check. Then, paint stucco when the temperature is between between 50-90F. It's better to let the paint dry over the night. However, the t shouldn't drop below 35F. Also, be sure there won't be any rains. You should also mind that the first coat can be applyed with a roller, but it's better to use a sprayer for the second one to avoid lap marks, which occur when paint dries too fast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back