Hotpoint 18XS

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spcauto

Reaction score
I have a 10 yr old Hotpoint 18XS (CTX18BAXPRWX) that was functioning fine until this afternoon. I replaced the icemaker, and the unit was running fine for about 2 hrs, then it completely stopped. Light on inside, but no fan and no compressor activity. It would appear that EVERYTHING probably would not go out at once, I suspect I may have overloaded the compressor fanning the freezer checking the ice maker. Any ideas to check would be appreciated. This thing is too old to have a service call on it, and we are going to redo the kitchen in a couple of months, was not ready to replace it right now. Thanks.

Check out the site in my sig - I did a review/podcast on DIY appliance repair and have links to a source you may find helpful.

Any ideas to check would be appreciated.

Do you hear a clicking noise? Sometimes dirty condenser coils or a broken condenser fan can cause this problem. If your coils are very dirty this could be the problem.

It is also possible that the thermostat is broken or you have a faulty condenser.

This site shows how to check your thermostat :http://www.partselect.com/refrigerator+test-defrost-thermostat+repair.htm

Frequently if it is a condenser problem, the fault is actually in the relay that causes the condenser to kick on, but the condenser itself is actually good.

Check out the site in my sig - I did a review/podcast on DIY appliance repair and have links to a source you may find helpful.

I think it probably would have been more helpful if you provided the url or at the very least the direct link to the post that might help this person repair their refrigerator.

Back