House improvement disaster

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdjl

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on what to do with a roof job gone bad.

We hired a roofing and siding company to come and replace our roof and install new siding. To keep the story short, they came and installed the roof which it appeared to be a good job. Then the siding crew came to do our raised ranch. When it came to do the upper section they put up scaffolding. Here's where the problem starts. They didn't lift the shingles and put the screws through the shingle underneath. THEY WENT RIGHT THROUGH THE TOP. WHEN THEY WERE DONE THEY FILLED THE HOLES WITH CLEAR SILICON. When we were on the roof we noticed these little silicon dots and saw the pattern. Well we complained that now they have no only ruined the rubber ice sheet under but have about 30 holes in our new shingles. They said they would replace the shingles but is this the right solution? These holes are in the first 2 courses of shingles on both the front and back of the house. What should they do and what should I watch for?

Doug, you hit the nail on the head. They have not only compromised the integrity of the shingles but also the underlayment. If you are in a northern region where ice daming is a problem they put nail holes in your moisture barrier. I would only be satisfied with them removing the bottom courses and installing new ice and water shield. You are paying for a new roof, you should get a new roof.

Oh, and :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Back