House insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbtd85

Reaction score
My house and floors are freezing. i currently have wood siding. Should I get vinyl siding instead or do one of these things recommended by contractor? He is definitely trustworthy just want to see what everyone thinks is the best option.

Insulate the basement ceiling:
Materials needed:
30 Rolls R-19 Faced Fiberglass
5 cans spray foam
3 Rolls seam tape
5 boxes staples.
6 tubes for caulk
So Materials alone are over $1100.
Then it’s time consuming. You have to slice around all the wires and pipes in the ceiling so it lays flat and you utilize the R value. If you stuff it and cram it in it does nothing. Before starting everything in the basement needs to be covered in plastic including appliances and furnaces. Then after it’s done there will be fiberglass pieces all over. The whole basement needs to be swept, Hepa Vacuumed and mopped. That stuff gets all over.
Would take 3-4 guys 3 days to finish then a clean up day.
So labor alone would be about $3000

There are interim controls that may help.
1. Foam filling all exterior penetrations
2. Filling the entire perimeter joist pockets above the block wall will R19
3. Cracking or redirecting both furnaces just slightly so it doesn’t affect heating the units so it heats the basement a little more.
May get a 10-15 degree heat rise in the basement once it reaches an equilibrium. Not ideal but improvement.
Still gotta clean up after. But maybe Labor and material $1500-1800.

Vinyl siding even with the thin fan-fold "insulation" they'd install behind it will add no significant R-value to the walls. Sealing up cracks and holes to reduce drafts will do more. Weatherstrip doors and windows. Adding insulation to the basement will help, especially around the perimeter of the house at the band joist. Going into your attic and sealing any penetrations from the conditioned space to the attic will help. Seal around electrical wires and plumbing stacks. If you have can lights that aren't IC (insulation contact) rated installing an insulation box around them will help seal them up without causing them to overheat. Replacing the bulbs with LEDs that won't generate excess heat will help as well. You can build one out of drywall or see the link below. When you have holes/gaps in the house in the living space and holes into the attic you're give the air infiltration a path through your house to cause drafts. Improving attic insulation will help, heat rises, you want to keep it in the living space.

Can light covers

What temperature is your basement? Is it conditioned or unheated? If unheated, and underground the temperature is likely in the low 60's year round. I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and last year added a new HVAC (heat pump) dedicated for the basement. It rarely runs summer or winter in NC. Our winters are generally mild. It is a walkout, and in the process of finishing it the framed back wall was made 8" thick with R-28-30 insulation. The poured concrete walls are insulated to R15 or R21. My ceiling was insulated when the house was built.

Back