House is flooding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryD

Reaction score
My Wife and I live in an older home bought from a relative who has since died. Our problem is when ever it rains, water comes in under the hearth and under the back door into our sunken den.We have put in french drains around the back of the home, we have not been able to determine where the water actually comes. In the mean time we are using http://www.stormtec.net/
who I can talk to about this Problem.

Welcome Henry, I'm sure that someone here will be able to help you as we have a wealth of knowledge on this board. We find that its usually easier to assist if we have pictures of what we are dealing with.

My first thoughts off the bat is that your land around the house must be sloping towards it and that needs to change somehow. you could put a small ditch in or something at the very least to try and get the water to go around the house instead of through it.
Justin

Have you checked to see how much water is passing through the drains. The homes in my neighborhood are about 60 years old and the ones with the best drainage have a deep french drain system with lots of gravel. It will dump into a plastic well with a sump pump. That's they only thing that has worked to move such a large volume of water. Is the ground spongy outside? That could indicate that there is a water saturation problem.

Back