how and when to plant

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warnerww

Reaction score
OK I have about an acre of land that has been weed infested and cheat grass infested for years. I finally got around to tilling it today. The weeds and cheat have been tilled under and the land raked smooth. My question is what now. I know there is a million weeds and cheat waiting to come up. Do I plant now or kill the weeds when they come up and then plant this fall. I am not in a hurry. The acre has been weed infested for 10 years, I just want to plant a field grass that grows in the spring then goes dorment in the summer ( I live in eastern washington and it gets hot and dry summmers). The grass is only being planted to controll the weeds. I plan on mowing it once a year.

If you kill the weeds now, and then wait, I would think you'll have some new weeds spring up by fall. I did that on a strip that I intended on rocking with landscape. I used round up, killed the grass, but then by the end of the summer I had a whole new kind of weed growing. I might try and do it all at once. FALL being the best time to seed because of the cooler temps. Spring is fine to seed if you want to spend a little more time with the care of it all.

Back