How do I remove a door with self-closing hinges?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kenney

Reaction score
Need to replace the door sweep on the door leading to the garage. Can't figure out how to remove the two hinges with these self-closing pins. Only the top hinge has a pin. The bottom one doesn't have a pin. So all I have to do is use an Allen wrench and turn the top until I can remove the pin? Is there anything else I need to do to remove this door? I found an Allen wrench that fits in the top and can turn it, but I don't know how to remove the bottom one if there's no pin to remove. Thanks!20230606_110024.jpg20230606_103209.jpg20230606_103044.jpg

Remove the hinge by taking out the screws, not the pins. I have a couple of self-closing hinges and they come as a complete unit and the pins aren't designed to be removed. The allen head bolt on the top is how you can adjust the tension of the closing spring.

I think you use the allen wrench to take the tension off the spring so you can pull the small pin that stops in the slot. Then the hinge will be under no closing tension and you can pull out the screws. If you try and pull the screws under tension the hinge is going to want to snap closed when you remove the last screw.

I think you use the allen wrench to take the tension off the spring so you can pull the small pin that stops in the slot. Then the hinge will be under no closing tension and you can pull out the screws. If you try and pull the screws under tension the hinge is going to want to snap closed when you remove the last screw.
Mine have been in a few years. I forget the actual process for adding or removing tension on the spring. But I'm pretty certain you don't want to remove the pin.

I've seen them with a stop pin that inserts in the hole in the barrel and becomes evident as the door is swung, which then allows the hinge to be removed.

Thanks, everyone! I ended up unscrewing the door from the frame, changing the door sweep, and screwing the door back on.
I think if you try to take it apart you'll wind up with a bunch of parts in your hands that you won't be able to get back together.

Back