How Do You Know If Your Bathroom Exhaust Is Actually Doing Anything?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom25B

Reaction score
We have one of the traditional bathroom light/fan fixtures in our bathroom. How do you know if these actually are doing anything?

I'd think that they are supposed to accomplish two things:

a) Expel steam/humidity from a hot shower
b) Expel the odor after using the toilet/bowl movement

Ours doesn't really seem to do anything but make sound. I thought about wafing baby powder in the air to see if I can see it being drawn up to the intake slits.

The simplest way is to create smoke, either by a tobacco product or a piece of paper, in a container. if there appears to be little or no draw when held in close proximity to the device, the fan or vent is probably obstructed, or not operating, which is an easy DIY repair.

One common trick is to exhaust the fan into the space between joists without giving it a place to exit. Some will say it exits the soffit, and in some cases it might. if you use an incense stick to test, it's easy to see the smoke leave the room ...if it does. But you can also catch a whiff from where it exits...if it does.
If your bathroom mirror fogs up after a shower, it's a good indication that the fan is not drawing enough air. Remember, the fan has to work harder if there is not enough replacement air entering the room.

An easy test is the wave a piece of toilet paper in front of it. If the fan is sucking then the TP will be sucked up to the grill from the air flow.

Some of the most common issues I see is not enough gap under the door into the room for make up air, the flapper is stuck.

Two of the most common, easy to fix things I've found wrong are there no gap under the door for make up air, the flapper is stuck from lint build up.

As others have said, it should easily hold a piece of paper to the grill when it's running.

It's hard to say why it's not working without seeing it so you get to be our eyes. I would suggest turning the power off to it then pulling out the motor assembly. Clean the blower wheel and while it's out check the back draft damper to make sure it's not stuck closed. I've seen people screw them closed by accident when installing them. And the blowers, they always get dirty which reduces your CFM that it moves.

I've also seen the exhaust hoods get stuck closed and in one case even covered over by a window (on a tower) :/ two suites side by side were installed like that. The window section was decoratively painted so you couldn't see through it. I couldn't believe what I found when I found it.

If it used to work but simply doesn't now then I would look for a blockage somewhere. Make sure bushes aren't growing into the hood blocking the backdraft damper from opening or something similar.

If the motor has a capacitor then you can check that but only if you know how to safely do that. If you don't know how then don't touch it, they can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing!

Bushings can be getting dry if the fan is old. They may be serviceable but if you are noticing poor performance from it due to that then it is probably too late to save it. Re-oiling the bushings may buy you some time before you have to replace it though... If you are paying someone to fix it and it's due to stuff bushings then just have it replaced and save yourself the second service call down the road.

Let us know what you find or decide to do. We always like to find out how the story ends :)

If it vents out the side of the house as mine do thru a vent with flappers on it just look to see if the flappers are opening or stick your hand in front of the opening and you should feel a good amount of air movement.

Back