How do you prepare your sump pump for winter?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redskinfan78

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently built a new home in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada and I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do to my sump pump and discharge hoses before winter comes? Ive never had a sump pump before and the builder has not helped me out. thanks

i primed the pump on mine with water since it was not stayin running all the time and it has been working great since.

No winterization should be necessary. Just let it sit in the crock until spring.

You need to make sure your discharge hose does not freeze. Flexible hoses freeze easiest but even a solid pipe can freeze under some conditions when snow covers the end.
The best solution I seen is to replace the 90 degree fitting after the pipe comes out of the house with a T and a street 45. If the pipe freezes water will shoot out of the T instead of burning out your pump and or flooding the basement. The T will be straight up and down with the 45 attached up top directing the water away from the house.

Last edited:
Back