How do you pronounce "multimeter"?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce "multimeter"?

• So that it rhymes with "buckeye peter"

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • So that it rhymes with "dull limiter"

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I've only heard people say this word one way, and to go along with them I say it out loud that way too, but in my head it feels more natural to say it the other way. This is funny and I wonder if other people experience the same thing, or maybe there are actually two different acceptable ways to say it.

@Sparky617 In that case, do you fully pronounce "volt ohm meter" or does it come out like "volt-o-meter"? And does it rhyme with "kilometer" (vul-TOM-etter) or with "no show eater" (VOLT-oh-meter)?

Someone told me kilometer is different in US and Europe.

No matter how they say it, I only ever hear Europeans pronounce kilometer as "point six miles". Canadians say it slightly differently: "point six miles, eh?"

I've only heard people say this word one way, and to go along with them I say it out loud that way too, but in my head it feels more natural to say it the other way. This is funny and I wonder if other people experience the same thing, or maybe there are actually two different acceptable ways to say it.

WHAT is "the other way" ???
I say mul tee mEter... you say mul TIE mEter? ... mule tim eter?
V O M...
My expensive autoranging VOM that I bought 40 years ago and loved was stolen a year ago by Democrat junkies that broke into my house... they didn't get much in that meter, left it in the bright sunlight on a car fender for hours a few years ago and the LED readout was barely faintly readable any more... got a new one for much less money that does a lot more... prolly should have paid $20 more and got the oscilliscope function in it as well...

@BuzzLOL Hahaha, everyone knows Democrat junkies would have stolen your stud finder or your digital tire pressure gauge. VOMs are stolen by Republican junkies. Libertarian junkies on the other hand steal vice grips. And I have it on good word that Green Party junkies steal solar walkway lights. As for Reform Party junkies, well they just steal your junk. There are a few independent junkies out there too, but what they steal is anyone's guess and depends on what other junkies around them are stealing.

I just call it a meter and most people I have worked with have done the same as it's the most common meter used, plus it's easier to say.

@Eddie_T That's interesting. When I worked in grip & lighting in the film industry, where the two most common types of meters are light meters and VOMs, they also said "meters" and it was left up to context which meter they were talking about.

@BuzzLOL Hahaha, everyone knows Democrat junkies would have stolen your stud finder or your digital tire pressure gauge. VOMs are stolen by Republican junkies. Libertarian junkies on the other hand steal vice grips. And I have it on good word that Green Party junkies steal solar walkway lights. As for Reform Party junkies, well they just steal your junk. There are a few independent junkies out there too, but what they steal is anyone's guess and depends on what other junkies around them are stealing.

A Dem junkie got my electronic stud finder & vise grips (and toolbox) 4 years earlier. Didn't have a digital tire pressure gauge(meter). Recent ones somehow forgot my digital 6" ruler thingy. It was moved upstairs but left behind. Junkies don't want anything they steal, especially tools that involve WORK! They just want to sell it for drug money. They don't even like money, just another irritating thing that has to be turned into drugs... The recent burglary also got guns, 20 aluminum Corvette and other custom wheels, new 55" Smart TV, 4 brand new rare 345/35-ZR15 tires for rear of a Pantera, new wire welder, lots of other tools and supplies... stuff worth about $20K in all...

@Eddie_T That's interesting. When I worked in grip & lighting in the film industry, where the two most common types of meters are light meters and VOMs, they also said "meters" and it was left up to context which meter they were talking about.

A promoter acquaintance called one day and said he was in desperate need of more 'roadies' for a traveling band appearing locally for one night so I did that once. It was an interesting experience... plus got paid and saw the show for free...

I interchangeably say mull-tee meter and mull-tie meter. Just depends on my mood. I think I say the latter more often though.
My electronics teacher said volt-ahm-uh-ter so I pronounce it that way.

Back