How do you store your tools?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I have a pretty growing collection now.

Power tools = 7" angle grinder, 4.5" angle grinder, mitre saw, circular saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, rotary hammer, 2 drills

All kinds of hand tools. Assorted parts like outlets, wall plates, screws. Extra drywall pieces, Romex cables, and a million other things.

I travel with my tools frequently doing volunteer work. I use rolling toolboxes, one for my hand tools and one for my battery powered tools. I use a bin for my drywall tools and another bin for some corded tools (hammer drill, oscillating saw, saber saw). I also carry a couple of briefcase-sized bins for nails, screws, wirenuts and other fasteners. I typically carry all of it when I go to work as a volunteer. They might tell us were going to be doing flooring before we travel to the site, and we wind up doing drywall, so like the Boy Scout Leader and Eagle Scout I am I try to always "be prepared".

After reading your many posts it would seem traveling with your tools is something you need to do as well. If you haven't graduated to a trailer or a van for maintaining your various properties think about rolling tool boxes and don't go huge. Be mindful of how heavy they can be for hoisting them into the back of your SUV, van or pickup. Mine pretty much fill the cargo space of my Ford Edge crossover.

I had an old retired metal tool box, turned out to fit my 4.5 inch angle grinder perfectly. And the tray holds a few extra wheels. I would also suggest keeping all those old packets of "silica gel" or moisture absorbents that come with electronics and other stuff. Throw a couple in your tool boxes.

Shelves, peg board, and a tool box.

My power tools (drills, circular saw, compound miter saw, grinders, etc) are stored on shelves.

Hand saws, framing square, level, and other associated small parts are hung on a peg board over my bench.

All of my hand tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, sockets, hammers, etc) are stored in my tool box.

My table saw, the stand for the compound miter saw, portable workbench and all my garden tools are stored on the floor throughout my garage.

My garage is 16'x24' and it is nicely organized.

Mine are all over the place. I have the toolboxes on the truck and trailer stocked with everything I need to install signs, so when I go out to do an install I don't have to round up what I need each time. I have hand power tools in an open shelf cabinet in the shop, hand wrenches and metal shaping tools in the outbuilding shop and gardening tools in the garage.

I put my tools in the apartment in the closet, each in the suitcase or in the basement, which is dry, so I had no problems with rust or corrosion.

Tool box or boxes .

We live in a mostly dry climate .

A light coat of oil on then does not hurt .

Wyr
God bless

Back