How long does paint take to set?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshahar

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

My painter said that I should not stock my cupboards or closets for 10 days after painting, because although it appears dry from the outside, it has yet to completely set. This is a bit of a pain since I want to get settled into my new home. Any thoughts as to the veracity of his statement?

Thanks,

-Charles

BTW, welcome to the forum, mostly all good folks here with an AH or 2 running around
just ignore em

depends on humidity and the type of paint used

i would wait a good 4 days, then set a glass on the shelf, close the door and check it in a couple of hours
to see if it sticks or not

Flat latex is dry to the touch in an hour if it isn't too humid. Enamel takes longer to be dry to the touch and longer yet to be fully dried. I'd listen to the painter.

Latex paint takes up to 30 days to cure as hard as it's going to get. I would listen to what they told you.

I painted the interior of my bay window with high gloss and you can't set anything hard and heavy on it or it will stick. Haven't pulled the paint up yet but, then again I avoid certain items.
This was over a year ago. Better safe than sorry and if sorry, you've voided the warranty by not listening to what you were told.

Latest posts

Back