How many folks use the energy saving bulbs?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LEDs in my living room ceiling fan keep burning out and/or dimming and flickering. They are not dimming bulbs as far as I know. I'm assuming it is a problem with the electricity/light fixture or switch. Any thoughts?

I like the bright white LEDs.

I there's an outlet on the same circuit I would check the voltage when flickering or dimming.

When I ran out of incandescent bulbs I replaced them with CFLs as they burn out I replace with LEDs. I haven't noticed any change in electric bills but I have electric heat. With electric heat lighting is essentially free as energy dies a heat death. In the summer I use lighting less so not much savings there.
My gas furnace died so I was heating electrically for a couple months but was shocked my new electric bills were $600-800/month... now with gas furnace working again, electric bills back to peaking at $55 and gas bills peaking at $150 monthly...

"national average price was $9.52 per thousand cubic feet." for NG.

Elec. energy cost maybe 4x lower, you have to convert CCF to therms to kWh.
OnlineConversion.com
may help.

Last edited:
I there's an outlet on the same circuit I would check the voltage when flickering or dimming.
I'll have to figure it out. I found my father's sketches of the wiring but don't know if they were before or after some changes and the tenants mucked things about so I am not certain. Plus its hard to read as it was drawn in the 80s and has faded.

We've used different brand bulbs at different times. Same results. They worked at first and then burned out or started flickering. So, I'm guessing its the wiring.

Things have been good on the LED lamp I put in the hallway though. I'm currently looking for one I can install over the sink. I need to find a good hard-wired one safe for wet areas because sometimes the water splashes like crazy when I'm using the handheld sprayer.

That looks terribly high... by shopping around I'm paying $3.90 per thousand... 33.9c CCF... for my NG...
(Wholesale is about 1/2 cent per thousand)
If you can't trust the Web, who can you trust? :D
We pay $105 for 62 CCF/63.6 Therms, no shopping around, half that is distribution charge, etc..

Tried to figure the energy cost of converting our house to all electric, finally did it for October, then realized I need the yearly cost, then realized if the elec. & NG people change their rates depending on demand it might be very hard to decide which costs less [elec or NG] depending on where you live. :(

I am all electric and have a buddy that has natural gas for furnace, water heater and a couple of gas logs. His total monthly bill is always much less than mine and his house is 800-1000 ft² larger.

BTW I tried my voltage sniffer on a couple of LED flashlights and got no response so they must not buck up the DC with a switcher.

Last edited:
I've got all electric. There's no gas service for my area. (No gas, water, sewage, or wired internet). My electric company tacks on a $100 fee every month for what they call "excessive usage" because the house is old & not sealed up well, electric serves the workshop and shed as well and we need electric to pump the water. Only wires we have from any sort of utility are electric wires and a very shallow buried phone line.

I am trying to switch over to some more energy efficient things and hope to get the windows replaced or at least more insulated. Old steel single pane windows don't help-- especially since many of them are cracked/broken. Man, the LED lamps I saw when searching a few minutes ago were high priced. I need something water resistant but didn't see that as an option.

Someone needs to tell my friend's power company that it's supposed to be 7.01cents because they are charging him up the wazoo. Louisiana comes out higher than the claim because of taxes and extra fees. I mentioned the $100 fee on top of the rates that have state and city service tax (same as sales tax). In my town the service/sales tax is 10.45%. My friend's bill was over $700 last month.

I'm still trying to find a good damp-rated led light for above the sink. I can do plug in if I can hide the wire up in the cabinet above. I'm thinking remote control or touch pad control would be nice. Remote might get lost though.

"damp-rated led light"

Today I have learned something.

So LEDs in fridges
when you open the door & let humid air in
it may condense on the lamp
at the 38F temp &
so they won't last long?

For long life in fixtures I wire two incandescent bulbs in series, they're somewhat orangey in color. Two 40w has each running at half voltage & 1/3 [not 1/4] the power.

Someone needs to tell my friend's power company that it's supposed to be 7.01cents because they are charging him up the wazoo. Louisiana comes out higher than the claim because of taxes and extra fees. I mentioned the $100 fee on top of the rates that have state and city service tax (same as sales tax). In my town the service/sales tax is 10.45%. My friend's bill was over $700 last month.

I'm still trying to find a good damp-rated led light for above the sink. I can do plug in if I can hide the wire up in the cabinet above. I'm thinking remote control or touch pad control would be nice. Remote might get lost though.
Do you ever need heat in your location? Is the electric just for A/C? Sales tax here is 7.25%...no tax on basic grocery store foods...

Just buy a $1 plastic covered LED bulb and install it above the sink and see if it lasts... probably will... the outlet may not last long, though... if getting wet a lot... move the outlet as high as possible...

• The Average Electricity Rate in the U.S. is 10.42 cents per kilowatt-hour.
  • Hawaii has the highest average electricity rate of 30.55 cents per kilowatt-hour.
  • Louisiana has the lowest average electricity rate of 7.01cents per kilowatt-hour.
Natural Gas Rates by State (December 2021) | Choose Energy
My price for electric is highish, about 12c/KWH for combined electric and distribution...

Here's the natural gas prices per CCF (Hundred Cubic Feet) ('C' is hundred like a century is a 100 years) we choose a supplier from. (Looks like Jomentia has driven the prices way up now, glad I locked in my low 33.9c rate for a few years):
https://energychoice.ohio.gov/Apple...?Category=NaturalGas&TerritoryId=8&RateCode=1
In the summer, the distribution charge is almost the entire gas bill, in the winter, actual gas usage charge is most of the bill...

Do you ever need heat in your location? Is the electric just for A/C? Sales tax here is 7.25%...no tax on basic grocery store foods...

Just buy a $1 plastic covered LED bulb and install it above the sink and see if it lasts... probably will... the outlet may not last long, though... if getting wet a lot... move the outlet as high as possible...
Yes, the past few years it has been getting below freezing during winter. My friend is very sensitive to the cold. if it's 60 or below he is shivering (he has almost no body fat). He's been having a problem that his girlfriend's niece is sleeping in the living room (they lost their home during the recent hurricane) and she keeps the AC on full blast even when it is cold. Then there's the heating. The niece, nephew, and gf are constantly leaving the front door open. The electric powers the lights, ACs, water heater, tvs, charges devices, computers, etc at my friend's house. At my house it powers the water heater, water pumps, AC, lights, tvs, computers, devices, etc. It has to provide power to the house, shed for water well, and the workshop. My brother constantly leaves lights on so switching to LEDs has helped. We also have a broken back door that is letting cold air in.

Man, I wish groceries were tax free here. No state tax but the city charges 6% tax on all groceries and medicines (including prescription). Nothing is tax free here- not even internet (even though it is federally illegal to tax internet, they get away with it by calling it a "fee").

I found a good light for over the sink. 24" slim utilitech. My friend has several of them in his kitchen. I checked the wiring and I have a little blue plastic box in the cabinet above with a wire. So I can convert it to hardwire or add a plug and use a wireless waterproof switch lower down.

Is the piping charge constant? Or maybe goes up with inflation?
I'll have to read my bills more carefully.

Latest posts

Back