how many refrigerators/freezers do you have?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philphine

don't give him tools!!!
Reaction score
not really an appliance problem as much as meddling in other households.

i'm thinking about buying a smallish apartment size 2nd refrigerator/freezer to put in my mud room. part as extra freezer storage (the one i'm looking at has a separate freezer door), part because just out side the door of my mud room is the deck bbq area and it would be much less than an outdoor kitchen fridge (but still convenient to the outdoor area), and part as backup to my main fridge.

so i'm wondering two things. i know plenty of people have a second fridge for one reason or another. in the garage or basement or where ever. i read that a regular kitchen fridge is about 1/6 of your electric bill. does anyone who has more than one notice the difference in their bill? if you have brought an energy star type fridge, could you tell a difference?

second, is it harder on a fridge to maybe not always be on. not from one day to the next, but say it's latefall/winter, so i'm not needing it for deck activities, and haven't gotten some kind of deal on a side of beef i need extra freezer space for. so maybe it's unplugged 'til spring or something. will that hurt it?

last, just to be meddlesome, who has more than two?

No one replied so I will. We are in the process of rebuilding an old home and we designed the kitchen with first one main fridge a typical side by side with water and ice in the door. We have a big center island 40”x76” and below it we used two base units and the plan was to put a wine fridge in the center. They are way over priced IMO and we used a small mini fridge in the center spot and it’s very handy for drinks and chilling wine. We have an adjoining pantry and in there we had room for an upright freezer that we store stuff in bulk and open it mostly to transfer a batch to the kitchen freezer. In our case my girlfriend’s family are all farmers and she brings home meats several hundred pounds at a time and we need the freezer space. The cost of running it is nothing compared to the cost of the foods.

We have a second refer in our lake house. We keep the temp a little warmer than the other one because we only use it for soft drinks and bottled water. The cost of running it is not noticeable.

thanks for the replies. i think i'm gonna do it. i'm working on clearing out the space for it and making a size decision.

I have one. No need for two. I had a deep freeze, but I couldn't justify using something that never stayed full.

Back