how much does block concrete fence cost?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind the reason that most people use a contractor that will look after the whole job is because they don't really know what needs to be done. If the contractor has all the people and equipment to do the job, he may have people that can do more than one of those jobs but he has to charge enough to pay for equipment that isn't used ever day. More often he will have people that do the core work and sub out the rest. The advantage of haver a plan to start with is that you can cut up the job and get quotes on all parts of the job. A back hoe to prep the trench look after drainage and back fill when done. Any framer, most construction labourer or carpenter can build forms and pore the footings. Then you need a brick layer.
All of these people are the sub contractors that the general contractor use and they will have time between jobs for work like this.
The down side of doing it like this you may have to deal with 20 or 30 people to get all the quotes and then the job may take a little long as not everyone will be available on your time line.
If it is just a matter of saving money???

In the end anything is worth what someone will pay for it.

Yes, subject to

Definition of 'Arm's Length Transaction'
A transaction in which the buyers and sellers of a product act independently and have no relationship to each other. The concept of an arm's length transaction is to ensure that both parties in the deal are acting in their own self interest and are not subject to any pressure or duress from the other party.

and

Fair market value (FMV) is an estimate of the market value of a [project] based on what a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured buyer would probably pay to a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured seller in the market.

Yes, subject to

Definition of 'Arm's Length Transaction'
A transaction in which the buyers and sellers of a product act independently and have no relationship to each other. The concept of an arm's length transaction is to ensure that both parties in the deal are acting in their own self interest and are not subject to any pressure or duress from the other party.

and

Fair market value (FMV) is an estimate of the market value of a [project] based on what a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured buyer would probably pay to a knowledgeable, willing, and unpressured seller in the market.

You've never been a door to to door salesman.

You've never been a door to to door salesman.
Did telemarketing for a while :D
And when we were kids we tried to sell packets of Christmas Cards door to door to get a radio controlled airplane. It didn't go well. :(

Did telemarketing for a while :D
And when we were kids we tried to sell packets of Christmas Cards door to door to get a radio controlled airplane. It didn't go well. :(

I was in the same boat as a 10-year-old, trying to sell Christmas cards. Hadn't had a sale all weekend, despite lugging the stupid card samples all around town for many hours. So when this rich woman invited me into her elegant front foyer late on a Sunday afternoon (to wait while she finished a phone call), my hopes were up. I waited, and waited, and waited some more--must have been standing there listening to the old biddy gab for half an hour. Finally, nature called, and I had to take a leak, real bad. I ran out the front door, and hoofed it up the street to my house, making it just in time to avoid wetting my pants. Never did make that sale, as I was too embarrassed to go back and explain my hasty exit.

But I digress, and sorry for the side-tracking from the OP's original post.

I would suggest getting a disinterested but knowledgeable and experienced engineer to work up a simple set of plans/specifications for the project, based on local codes and soil conditions. Then proceed to solicit bids from qualified bidders. Doing so will mean comparing apples to apples, instead of getting different bids from different bidders, each with his or her own ideas of what the job requires.

I had a somewhat similar experience a few years ago. As a "pro bono" offer, I worked up a set of plans and specs for a motel entryway safety railing project. The woman who owned the motel provided us with reasonable rates and a decent place to stay for several weeks in the area while we were home-shopping. She realized she had a safety hazard at the entryway (it had a 3', very abrupt drop-off just outside the entry door), but thus far all the contractors she talked to had given her numbers (and ideas) all over the ball park. Using the bid package I gave her, she proceeded to solicit bids from area contractors, and picked one who did a respectable job on fabricating and installing the railing. She was delighted with the results, and marveled at how easy it was to have a detailed package of what was required for all of the bidders to use.

So when this rich woman invited me into her elegant front foyer late on a Sunday afternoon
Had you been older this might have gone completely differently, if you get my drift. . .:D

I would not touch this job for 15k. 4300 block will run around 5K in this area.14 yards of concrete would be $1540.
You will need rebar for the footing and depending on local codes at least one piece of vertical rebar every 4 feet in a poured cell.Wood or rented forms for the footing.Mortar and a lot of other incidentals.Permits and a soil test.
See where I'm headed here?This includes no labor or equipment.You will probably have a minimum of $2000 in a nice gate depending on type and size.

I would not touch this job for 15k.
Choose a bid. . .
30K (1.5 x 20)
45K (1.5 x 30)
70K (1.5 x 45)

Anybody?

I'd say the OP is looking for a non-precision answer between 15 and 50 and the city data for median income for Peoria is only slightly higher than that for New Orleans so your estimate is somewhat applicable to the OP's situation.

Pretty soon I'll bid on it and I don't know diddly about this type of work. What harm can it do? My advice is worth every penny paid for it! :D

Last edited:
It's been a week since the OP responded to our comments, so maybe she just gave up on us. I don't think she'll get her fence built for the ten or fifteen grand she somehow thinks it should cost., but I'm not about to guess at a number (that wouldn't be very meaningful anyway).

It's been a week since the OP responded to our comments, so maybe she just gave up on us. I don't think she'll get her fence built for the ten or fifteen grand she somehow thinks it should cost., but I'm not about to guess at a number (that wouldn't be very meaningful anyway).

Have you noticed the price finders always leave when they don't get the right answers and never come back to tell us what they ended up doing.

My guess for the center value for several bids would be sqrt(15K x 50K) = 27K and I'd modify this estimate according to Web opinions and Web facts while correcting it for locale.

If the low bid/high bid were closer together, like 15K and 25K, I guess I'd say (15K + 25K)/2 = 20K for a center value.

If I'd guess between $1K and $200K for an interval estimate, almost certainly this would be right. :D
Right now the lower end of this interval estimate seem to be >$15K.

My guess for the center value for several bids would be sqrt(15K x 50K) = 27K and I'd modify this estimate according to Web opinions and Web facts while correcting it for locale.

If the low bid/high bid were closer together, like 15K and 25K, I guess I'd say (15K + 25K)/2 = 20K for a center value.

If I'd guess between $1K and $200K for an interval estimate, almost certainly this would be right. :D
Right now the lower end of this interval estimate seem to be >$15K.

It dosn't matter, what ever information they get from here, it would be a guess at best or ads on line would only find a salesperson to come out and expand the price when they get there.

They still have to deal with contractors and there ideas or develope a plan to get quotes on. Whether the job done is good or bad the answer is still the same. It will be worth what they pay for it. There is no shortcut.

http://robertreich.org/post/79512527145

I guess what I'm offering is different but logic-based ways of interpreting the bids you get. It can't hurt, the OP can always decide I'm full of it.

Resumes don't seem to matter much on forums, anyway. . .:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back