How much time can I wait to have sagging floors repaired?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 60634

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am new to this forum, this is my first post. I would appreciate any advice or opinions anyone may have to offer about my situation. I have lived in my home about 7 years. It is a small home (about 1,000 square feet) and before I bought it, it had piers installed in several places along the perimeter of the house, the piers were done in 2012 and I bought the house in 2015. The house passed inspection and a structural engineering test before I bought it.

Now about a month ago, I discovered cracks in my garage floor. One crack widened and is now large enough to put my hand through and shine a flashlight down beneath the garage floor. I did this and found that the ground was not coming all the way up to meet the garage floor anymore, there were voids under the floor where the cracks were. I called a few structural repairs companies in my area and they all recommended that I call a structural engineer for an assessment before anything else, so that is what I did. The engineer believed the piers that had been placed were still doing their job and that they were preventing the foundation perimeter from having any further movement and that the frame of my house was sound and there were not issues there. He suspected that the void was caused by a slab plumbing leak. I had a leak test done, and they found a drain leak in my front bathroom and a service line leak in the front yard. Those issues are going to be fixed next month and the repairs at minimum will be about 5K and that is if these two leaks are all there is. They will do another leak test after these repairs to make sure. Plus the 5K just covers the leak repairs, I am responsible on my own for repairing the tile (they are going to have to drill down through the tile in my front bathroom) so this could mean getting new flooring. This 5K could turn into several thousand dollars more before all is said and done.

The next step will be to fill the void under the kitchen where the floor has become a bit unlevel (the kitchen is near the front bathroom) and then also the garage floor. The engineer has recommended a polyurethane injection foam for the void under kitchen area and the garage floor will just need to be torn out and rebuilt where the cracks are. The estimate I got for the poly foam injection (not including garage floor repair) is about 9K. I know the pluming situation needs to be handled before anything and I have plenty of savings to cover that, but I may need to save up some more money before I tackle the poly foam injection repair. So my question is how long can I wait to get the poly foam repair done? At least when the pluming is repaired, that should stop any further damage from occurring since the leak will be gone, but I am concerned that leaving the void left unfilled for too long could cause more settling or sinking. I would rather pay cash to have this step done instead of financing it, but I don't want to wait too long and cause more damage. I could use some advice on this. Thank you

Back