How much to level and fill?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onion69420

Reaction score
So last fall I git hooked up to city water after my well quit.
It looked ok until the snow melted and the excavation site partially caved in.
It's a trench about 60 feet long and 4 feet wide that has a depression running the length and width that is anywhere from a couple inches to a foot in depth.
I need a company to backfill with topsoil and then compress it.
I had 1 quote for 2400 dollars, which seems insane to me. Maybe I am just being cheap but does that seem like a reasonable quote?

I've always depended upon the water consolidation method;
Order some fill delivered.
Overfill the depression.
Apply water over a couple of weeks time.
Rent a lawn compactor and compact.
Add additional fill and compact.
Plant, water and mow.

You do not need top soil, any fill that is non toxic and with out big rocks will do . the last foot you might want some garden type soil so that grass can grow . It will take some time to compress so add more on top .

Whoever did the city water connection stole the dirt. I would contact them and complain.

It was private contractor that did the excavation. He didn't steal it. I watched the whole time. It just settled back in unevenly.
It needs to be filled and leveled about 3 feet each side of the trench

A couple inches to a foot? If it averages 6" across the length of the trench you are talking 4.5 yards of fill! That's some pretty nasty settling. Are they sure it's not leaking?

As for pricing--the fair price is how much someone charges who is ready, willing and able to do it without getting underbid. Only two or three quotes can answer you question in your neighborhood.

Something is strange here. If there's no leak and the yard was OK before trenching then only some regrading should be needed. I graded my yard with a rototiller and a rake, it was slow but the price was right.

It's mostly just a few inches but there are a couple places where it's a foot or so.
The ground under the top soil is clay very rocky. Tons of rocks. So i went through and took a couple inches off the top to remove the rocks. Then I put in top soil and tamped it down. It looked ok and then we got a heavy rain and it collapsed. Put more soil in and again it settled in.
I need a heavy machine to compress and level it.
I sent a message to the contractor that did the excavation. I can see that he read it but he has yet to answer me back.
Like most contractors I have dealt with over the last 10 years he was eager to take my money, do a quick substandard job, and not fix any issues down the road.
Even if it takes 4 yards that only a few hundred bucks. I can't imagine paying 2400 to spread some dirt and drive a bobcat over it a few times.

He talked me out of having a guy tunnel bore it with a cheaper price and a promise that all I would have to do is throw some grass seed down.

So last fall I git hooked up to city water after my well quit.
It looked ok until the snow melted and the excavation site partially caved in.
It's a trench about 60 feet long and 4 feet wide that has a depression running the length and width that is anywhere from a couple inches to a foot in depth.
I need a company to backfill with topsoil and then compress it.
I had 1 quote for 2400 dollars, which seems insane to me. Maybe I am just being cheap but does that seem like a reasonable quote?
Renting equipment can sometimes be a good idea. It is better to do it yourself if you have the right equipment. Backfilling the trench with topsoil is a simple job. It should take you a couple of hours at most. I think 2400 dollars is too much. It will depend on which equipment you are renting. The rental fee can also be lower. The equipment rental companies usually provide an operator to run the equipment if you don't not have experience using it yourself. You won't have to deal with issues like repair, maintenance, gas etc.

It was private contractor that did the excavation. He didn't steal it. I watched the whole time. It just settled back in unevenly.
It needs to be filled and leveled about 3 feet each side of the trench
I would personally got after the contractor that did this mess...
Get a pile of top delivered. Shovel, wheelbarrow, rake, done. It is a dyi forum.

I'd say get a yard of topsoil delivered and the tools above and about 1/2 to 3/4 of a day... and it'll be done... Good Luck...

He talked me out of having a guy tunnel bore it with a cheaper price and a promise that all I would have to do is throw some grass seed down.

Back