How much to raise this ceiling?!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
I all! So I decided that I want to raise the ceiling in our living room because the way it was originally framed is absolutely ridiculous. Last owners said the original home builder screwed up so that's why it is the way it is.

I went in the attic, which is ridiculously HUGE with a ton of wasted space; could of had every ceiling much higher, rooms upstairs could of been way bigger and walk-in closets could of been done on every room upstairs but there's not a single one. I was shocked when I was in the attic at the amount of space up there.

Anyway, after checking, it seems like raising the living room ceiling should be prettt straightforward in this application. With the exception of the basic electrical work, what's the cost for something like this? The room isn't that big it's about 18'x22' if I remember.
What's something like this usually cost. Here's a few pics of what I got and what my vision is.IMG_4951.PNGIMG_4952.PNGIMG_4953.PNGIMG_4954.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to have to get several local quotes on this one.
Ball park prices from someone not on site will do no one any good.

A copy of the house plan will help any prospective bidder.
Thanks that's good to know. I'll see if I can get them from the town records so I'm better prepared for any contractors that come out to look.
I did look up this house on the towns records and it just shows a generic layout of square footage floor plan but no actual architectural info. Might have to dig deeper to see what they might have. It's a 20yr old house so I might be screwed. Time to dig through the sellers paperwork we received at closing.

Is there access into that dropped down area from the second floor? If there is some photos from the inside would be more helpful. If not is there an area where you could cut in an opening to get in there and take photos?

That area is likely not load bearing and if that is the case it might be a good DIY project and keep the cost down to within what you are thinking.

How many skylights do you plan on? Roof penetrations may be better left to the pros.

Maybe demo and framing as DIY and then hire the skylights and drywall out. Being your own general contractor saves money.

If I had to guess if you just go out and say to someone how much to do this, you will be quite a bit higher than 5k.

Thanks for the info. On the second floor, all the rooms up there are on the front north side of the house so in the pic I posted of back side of roof, that entire back side from one end of house to the other is all open in the attic, completely open and wasted space. Access point is a closet ceiling hatch. I'll see if I can get some pics today.

Back