How much to repair water hammer?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
We're having a plumber out next week to fix the water hammer noise we've experienced in this house whenever water is turned on and off. I'd like to get some idea of what a reasonable estimate is, so I know if they're trying to rip us off.

We have a ~1300ft ranch, beam-on-pier with a crawlspace (commando-crawlspace, they should have called it). The water heater, and the supply going into my house, are on the opposite side of the house from the bathrooms, which is where we've been hearing the noise. I'll try to provide any other relevant info if you ask for it.

Impossible to know what it will cost.
First thing I would have done is checked the water pressure.
A simple gauge any Box store sells on an outside faucet will tell you what it is.
Anything much higher then 60 PSI can be the issue.
Is it city or well water?
Has any recent plumbing work been done?
Do you have a pressure tank?

Impossible to know what it will cost.
First thing I would have done is checked the water pressure.
A simple gauge any Box store sells on an outside faucet will tell you what it is.
Anything much higher then 60 PSI can be the issue.
Is it city or well water?
Has any recent plumbing work been done?
Do you have a pressure tank?
I'll try and check the pressure later.

It's city water.

No recent plumbing work.

I don't have a pressure tank, that I know of.

I know it will be impossible for anyone to provide an exact estimate via this forum, I was just hoping to get a realistic range based on as much info as I can provide here. That way I can compare that to whatever I get quoted next week to understand where their estimate fits.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back