How to add stuff to a one-outlet circuit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvnpeas

Reaction score
Bathroom with a single GFCI outlet on a dedicated grounded circuit.

I want to take a light switch and outlet that are currently on a different, old, ungrounded circuit, and put them on the newer, grounded circuit.

There are "out" screws on the GFCI, but no "out" for the ground.

The wiring from the light switch to the fixture doesn't have a neutral.

I think I do this, but I've never wired anything before....

Run a cable from the GFCI to the switch. I guess I put two grounds under the same screw on the GFCI (???). The hot and neutral connect to the unused screws on the GFCI.

Connect the hot to the light switch.

Splice the unused neutral and ground and the hot from the light switch to a cable.

Run that cable to the new outlet.

Splice together the old, 2-wire cable formerly running into the light switch and out of the old outlet, so that older circuit is maintained (there are other outlets on it....this is a pre-WW2 house).

Help!

Hm. I looked at the old light switch just now. It only has a cable running to the light fixture (black wire and white wire). I assumed power ran into the switch, and then out to the light. But this switch is only connected to the light fixture. Power must go to the fixture first.

So I guess I skip that part, and just extend the GFCI to the regular outlet.

OK, forget the light switch.

I just want to add a regular outlet to a circuit currently dedicated to a single GFCI outlet. Are there any special considerations in extending the wiring from the GFCI to the regular outlet?

The gfi has white and black to the side marked line, hook the wire to the new outlet white and black to the load side of the gfi. the ground wire should first go to the back of the box then to the gfi.
Disconnect it from the gfi and with a wire nut add a short peice for the gfi and the ground wire for the other outlet.

Back